Looking to build an SLA Printer

This is the place to discuss various hardware. Topic include:
- Display devices (Projectors, Lasers & etc..)
- Microcontrollers & RAMPs boards
- Power supplies
- Z-Axis and Tilt assemblies
- etc..
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
1druid1
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Looking to build an SLA Printer

Postby 1druid1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:44 am

Hi All

I have a cheap Chinese Prusa i3 knockoff printer that I bought a few years ago, and for the price £100 after a few tweaks prints out pretty good and has done me well.

I use it to print parts that don't require high detail parts for Scale Models, then use Photo Etching for high details addon parts.

My costs for getting Photo Etching done is quite high so was looking at other methods and seen SLA printing and that you could get details in the 0.1mm range, this is interesting to me but don't want to spend lots of money on a commercial unit and I love building things my self (Just built my own CNC router using my crappy 3D printer)

So I have a few questions regarding the hardware and possibilities.

My current printer build area 200mm x 200mm x 200mm and for parts making I use this quite a bit, to put into perspective I 3D printed a to scale a hull of the Battleship Bismarck, the printed hull is 2.51m long x 36cm wide by 30cm high all printed in chunks using the max size of my print area. (It took a long time just to print the hull then assemble)

I would like to double my print area, now this has 2 issues, weight of part for a print up design and time to print, does resin printing have any issues with length of time for prints? I would also want a bottom up design as top down would cost a fortune to fill the resin vat, anyone made a printer with this type of scale and have issues with the weight of the part dropping of build plate?

I have an old Optoma HD230X projector gathering dust as I no longer use it, is this projector a useable one and could it give accurate details up to 0.1mm?

Cheers

Druid