Removing the UV shield: bad!

This is the place to discuss various hardware. Topic include:
- Display devices (Projectors, Lasers & etc..)
- Microcontrollers & RAMPs boards
- Power supplies
- Z-Axis and Tilt assemblies
- etc..
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
3DPiper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Removing the UV shield: bad!

Postby 3DPiper » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:16 am

I am building my own sla and purchased a very cheap used Acer h6510bd projector.
I saw several mods on whether to remove the UV shield or not, and I decided to give it a try.
I had originally cut a piece of regular picture frame glass to put in place of the UV shield, but when I determined it had no effect on cooling airflow I removed it all together.
On full power, it immediately melted the light tunnel mirrors to where they fell out of the housing and their silver flecked off.
It also melted the black plastic holding the condenser lens (just after the light tunnel) and the lens itself (I guess it is plastic).
See pics.
Modder beware!
Leaving the regular glass in may have prevented this.
I guess I will experiment with trying to switch over to 405nm LED/Laser as a light source now (I have nothing to lose).
Attachments
h6510bd Collector Lens and light tunnel mirrors.jpg
h6510bd Collector Lens housing melted.jpg