FEP on Ember - Preliminary results:

This is the place to discuss various hardware. Topic include:
- Display devices (Projectors, Lasers & etc..)
- Microcontrollers & RAMPs boards
- Power supplies
- Z-Axis and Tilt assemblies
- etc..
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Yianni-VJ
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

FEP on Ember - Preliminary results:

Postby Yianni-VJ » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:30 am

Hi All,

This is my first post and I would like to thank everybody for sharing their know-how.

I m reposting here since Autodesk's forum is a barren wasteland:

I successfully printed my first model on Ember using FEP instead of PDMS.

I challenged myself to do a proof of concept. As any other preliminary test, the first results only show potential, not quality nor speed or ease of use.

My process:
- Unscrewed and detached the glass/PDMS assembly.
- Used scalpel to carve a window on PDMS.
- Used a chisel to remove the inside part of PDMS from glass, leaving a border in place.
- Used a diamond encrusted drill bit to open a hole in the glass, for air pressure to equalise. Managed to break the glass not once but twice !
- I sandwiched a sheet of FEP film and tightened the bottom screws.
- I could not get the tension right, Adhesion was not possible, since Ember's build platform is large I printed a 2mm pedestal in an effort to achieve tension. To do that I used an unmodified tray, and let the printed plate on the platform.
- I increased and Z axis overlift, set 0 degrees rotation and disabled jamming detection.
- Clicked print*

IMG_20170215_221142.jpg

IMG_20170215_221044.jpg

IMG_20170215_221143.jpg

Result shows good promise. There was some sweating of resin in the bottom, I advise caution to anybody who tries to replicate this test.

I am sharing this publicly, in an effort to urge others to pick up the torch and produce an aftermarket VAT for sale, to users like me who want Ember to reach its potential.

Firmware needs to be edited, we need to disable homing before job start and after job end.
Also, Pause function did not work correctly, platform did not raise at inspection height. It might be a bug.