First DLP printer questions

This is the place to discuss various hardware. Topic include:
- Display devices (Projectors, Lasers & etc..)
- Microcontrollers & RAMPs boards
- Power supplies
- Z-Axis and Tilt assemblies
- etc..
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
DoctorProfessorGuy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

First DLP printer questions

Postby DoctorProfessorGuy » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:35 pm

Hi, I'm trying to build a DLP 3D printer this year as my Christmas present to myself (I'll probably finish it by march) and I've got just a few question I'd like to ask if anyone has any experience or recommendations:

1) Is a nema 17 27:1 geared stepper motor okay for a z axis? I've read people have been having to use larger nema 23 motors for the z axis and I kinda already bought a motor. I'll be using a 1605 ball screw with 5mm pitch if that will factor in to anything.
2) Are wipers necessary for a DLP printer? Do they provide anything useful to the printing process? Or will I be fine without one.
3) How do you align your build plates with your vats?
4) Also, is passive vat tilt a bad idea for large surface area prints? I'm shooting for 20cm x 11.25cm build area and probably will use most of that.

I hope this isn't too much to ask in one go.

One final question, what's a good way to remove resin from your hands? Someday I will need to know this.

Thanks.