Why are there no large stage DLP 3D printers

This is the place to discuss various hardware. Topic include:
- Display devices (Projectors, Lasers & etc..)
- Microcontrollers & RAMPs boards
- Power supplies
- Z-Axis and Tilt assemblies
- etc..
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Helix619
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Helix619 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:52 pm

Why are there no large state platform 3D DLP printers, i know clarity is a factor but if i get a big clear projector in theory i should be able to make a big stage ?

nc42
Site Admin

Re: Why are there no large stage DLP 3D printers

Postby nc42 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:22 pm

Main issues are resolution, which gets worse as the image size increases, releasing the part from the vat in a bottom up system,and amount of resin needed in a top down system.

Phife

Postby Phife » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:05 pm

^^What he said.. Also, one issue most people overlook, the larger you project the slices the less light power you have so your cure times will go up.

Cation

Postby Cation » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:05 pm

Lack of budget, tools and understanding of radcure.

Stitching multiple projectors or beam steering a single projector adds expense and requires skills in programming, optics and machine design.

Paying $1K or more to fill a large vat with resin is also outside the range of most budgets after spending that much or more on a projector and the machine components. Large SLA printers are around, you just don't hear about them on forums like this. NYU had a project developing some large format SLA printers. You might find some announcements or papers if you search.

BMMal

Postby BMMal » Wed May 06, 2015 9:13 am

I do not recall the name of the company, but there was one developing a system that used a projector-type system on an x/y gantry. Rather than steering the beam, the projector was physically moved curing out a section of the build platform at a time. Obviously this would be pretty slow and maybe a galvo/laser system would be more efficient then. Most of the big names in SLA are using top-down lasers anyway, even in their smaller format machines.

I agree that when you start getting to large format SLA, top-down systems while generally more complex, are easier to deal with when it comes to the printing process. I've seen many people on here use salt water to reduce the amount of resin required in the vat. They seem to be pretty successful with this.

sitzme

Postby sitzme » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:55 pm

Shrinkage of the resin was a huge problem and probably still is. Resolution is only a problem if your application requires fine resolution AND large parts. I was working on a vat that is about 10 x 18 and it worked for smaller parts but keeping large things attached became to much of a problem. Printing was a lot slower but it did work. I think that the problems can be solved but my application came and went during development. I suggest starting with a size that is known to work and incrementally scale up.

vfdsrvcAdoke

Postby vfdsrvcAdoke » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:02 am

I am somewhat disgusted and surprised that there is an advertisement on "this" website for the Hyundai Genesis. I may be new here, but, shouldnt there be someone deciding that this is inappropriate?
Ремонт промышленной электроники - https://prom-electric.ru/