uv led

This is the place to discuss various hardware. Topic include:
- Display devices (Projectors, Lasers & etc..)
- Microcontrollers & RAMPs boards
- Power supplies
- Z-Axis and Tilt assemblies
- etc..
cosimocnc
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

uv led

Postby cosimocnc » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:38 pm

I wanted to know if someone has already changed the DLP with LED UV, and possibly the type of LED and where to buy it

johnrpm
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: uv led

Postby johnrpm » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:43 am

I am in the process of doing it, I bought mine on eBay, 20watt 390-410nm for about £14 each, I
intend to use both in a housing that replaces the origonal lamp unit, but may need to have an
external lamp with pmma optic pipe running into the light gate, just got the pmma so will
see how transmisive it is, the ends must be polished but thats not hard.

will keep you posted on progress.
Random Precision

PacManFan
Site Admin

Postby PacManFan » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:54 pm

I just posted on my blog about my pico-projector experiments with a UV LED here:

hp_

Postby hp_ » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:50 am

hi Pacmanfan,

i was wondering. what kind of power supply do you use for the UV LED?

checkout what i did last year :)
http://3dobjectifying.blogspot.be/2012/ ... tsink.html
optimal cooling :)

I have also bought a liquid cooling system if this doesn't work :)

PacManFan
Site Admin

Postby PacManFan » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:19 pm

Currently, I'm testing with a simple wall-wart that is 12v 750mA. I have it connected to a 1k trimmer pot, just to vary the voltage a bit. I'm going to need to build a current-limiting circuit when I start the construction of my new machine. 12 *.750 = 9 watts, I still have a little more wiggle room for brightness, If it's properly heatsinked, I may be able to push it a little more.

James

Postby James » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:56 pm

Hp, I don't see how that would work very well without a thermally conductive paste or foam. With conductive paste though that setup would be extremely efficient. You could probably even over clock it! :lol:

The projector I purchased for my project I got as return at a lowered price and the only problem it had was the lamp was broken. Consequently, I went with installing a 5 watt 400 nm LED. I still haven't done any tests yet to see if this will work to cure resin efficiently as my shop is still frozen solid. When summer gets here I'll do some more work on it.

It's difficult to convert to a LED because you need to find out how the microcontroller monitors the condition of the lamp and then fool the microcontroller into thinking a lamp is still in place. Without tricking the microcontroller it will see that the conditions are not right and then shut down the whole system.

I don't see why one couldn't get away with using something like Steve's power setup since it should work fine for the application. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but to the best of my knowledge current limiting is mainly to keep the brightness of the LED constant and so no special circuitry should be needed. Regardless, I used a LED driver, , for my setup.
I prefer to know nothing about everything rather than everything about nothing. :)

erenaud

Postby erenaud » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:21 pm

Are you guys having success with replacing the light bulb with a UV LED?

a friend of mine tried this for his PhD thesis about a year ago, with the result that the UV LED busted the DLP chip very quickly.

James

Postby James » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:31 am

Are you sure he refereed to DLP? I don't see how UV could damage a DMD (Digital Micromirror Device) chip. See these for DMD chips. They are specifically designed to handle UV based on the AR (Anti Reflective) coating.

LCD chips on the other hand can be destroyed by UV, so perhaps he was referring to LCD.
I prefer to know nothing about everything rather than everything about nothing. :)

Glacian22

Postby Glacian22 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:11 am

James

Postby James » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:27 am