projector mounted horizontally (w/ mirror) vs vertically

This is the place to discuss various hardware. Topic include:
- Display devices (Projectors, Lasers & etc..)
- Microcontrollers & RAMPs boards
- Power supplies
- Z-Axis and Tilt assemblies
- etc..
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
nicanor76
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

projector mounted horizontally (w/ mirror) vs vertically

Postby nicanor76 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:55 am

I'm starting to design the frame, where to mount the parts, etc. What's the disadvantage of using a mirror, does it looses some brightness and require longer exposure? I'm leaning towards this method to reduce the height of the frame, but curious why most people mount theirs vertically (directly under the VAT).

orangezero

Re: projector mounted horizontally (w/ mirror) vs vertically

Postby orangezero » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:52 am

I just looked up on another website and it says a decent aluminum mirror coating will reflect 85-97% of the light. These can be expensive and/or difficult to acquire. Plus, it is just one more thing to purchase that is really optional?

The suggestion seems to be that it will be about the same as long as you use a first surface mirror rather than the cheaper ones more readily available. I think one person even used the platter of a hard drive, and mentioned that his effective cure time was pretty much the same. Having written that and going over it, I'm just repeating what others have said. I do not have personal experience in this yet.

I've seen at least one drawing showing two mirrors so that the projector was mounted behind the z-axis. This would seem to allow for a nice and potentially smaller enclosure, assuming the time isn't affected too much by two mirrors. Losing 15% doesn't seem correct to me. The quote I got that from mentioned "across the spectrum" so perhaps 400nm reflects more than 700nm for a reason unknown to me.

Another disadvantage would be spilled resin or failures in the vat. Certain projector orientations might be more likely to ruin a $600 "part."

My head is wrapped firmly around figuring out a vat type right now.

nicanor76

Re: projector mounted horizontally (w/ mirror) vs vertically

Postby nicanor76 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:06 pm

Great info. I found some places that carries first surface mirrors. I may mount it directly below for now just to minimize my 1st build (1 less thing to worry about), can modify the frame later to try a mirror.