Geckodrive G540? And other questions.

This is the place to discuss various hardware. Topic include:
- Display devices (Projectors, Lasers & etc..)
- Microcontrollers & RAMPs boards
- Power supplies
- Z-Axis and Tilt assemblies
- etc..
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
phildlight
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Geckodrive G540? And other questions.

Postby phildlight » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:48 am

So as I'm considering whether to build or buy, I was looking at my stash of "stuff" in my shop and realized I have a sherline CNC mill that I abandoned and wonder if I could make it work. While amassing parts to correct backlash issues w/ that mill, I bought a Geckodrive G540 driver (unrelated to backlash I know). I know this driver is overkill for a DLP SLA, but since I already have it and I have no use for the Sherline mill anymore (bought a much better 5 axis mill) I figured why not? I also have the power supply from the sherline mill which I know works with the G540 and the steppers I already have. I also got some new precision lead screws and couplings so I think I might be able to build a printer by replacing the groove/gib z column with linear slides on a custom frame. At least starting w/ the G540 I know I could add on all sorts of other functions down the road.

That said, I might be further ahead just buying a Z column assembly like this one?:http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Z-axis-Slide-DIY-CNC-PLASMA-OXY-ROUTER-linear-motion-NEMA-23-Reprap-3D-mil-/281410051552?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item4185589de0 I'm sure with enough machining and some nice linear bearings I could build a z column w/ the stuff I have, but time is an issue in that I'm self employed and up to my eyeballs in revenue work.

Am I right to assume that CW is essentially (aside from the awesome slicing solutions etc) a gcode generator and controller? I use mach3 for my mill and I just want to confirm that I'm looking at similar config w/ CW with regard to motor control. It's communicating via the com port and I assume there's a way to configure the motor tuning similar to mach3? Can you change the steps per revolution or the step pulse or acceleration etc. like mach3? I was originally thinking that I could just write my own gcode for as simple as it is until I found CW. I guess I should just set it up and see if I can get it working but I thought maybe someone has already worked with this driver?

Finally, any suggestions in terms of build vs buy? I know it's slightly OT from this post. While I have a full machine shop, about a metric ton of aluminum stock and abandoned cnc mill gear to start, I know from experience that sometimes it's better to go with something tried and tested. Saves a lot of design time, machinging, fabrication etc. I'd rather spend the money to save some time than start from scratch. That said, with all the stuff I already have, I think I'm already half way there to a DIY build. I really like the LittleRP as it's essentially exactly what I'm looking for. Small build volume with accurate resolution. What would you do?

Phife

Re: Geckodrive G540? And other questions.

Postby Phife » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:28 am

I dont think it will be very easy to get a G540 to work in this case. G540 runs off the Parallel port and CW works via USB.

Second, the G540 needs things like the Safety Charge Pump signal, and it also needs step and direction signals to move the steppers. CW does not do this, only outputs Gcode, it does not calculate the movement.

Most everyone is using RAMPS 1.4 or Arduino in some way. I would recommend that as it will probably take you a while to get the G540 working correctly. RAMPS is less than $50 for a complete kit.

phildlight

Postby phildlight » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:30 pm

That's kind of what I thought after digging a little deeper. I just bought a z axis setup so the sherline junk is destined for resale. I should be able to get enough out of the sherline stuff + the g540 to pay for the printer build.

I'm looking into the RAMPS 1.4 options now. Looking at this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RAMPS-1-4-REPRA ... 4d14bb78b9

I realize I don't need 4 drivers. I'm gathering that any RAMPS 1.4 type board is going to work. Then it's just firmware... Thanks for the help! I forgot about the safety charge pump signal. I realize now that a lot of what the G540 does is managed through mach3, and that w/ the parallel vs USB renders it pretty much useless for SLA w/ out some wizardry.

Phife

Postby Phife » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:07 pm

Spend a few more bucks and get a RAMPS kit with all the cables and maybe even optical or hall effect endstops. Saves you having to make your own cables and source the sensors separately.

Also, get the extra drivers, RAMPS can take 5. While you may not use them all, its nice to have spares/backups in case something happens or for future expansion.

EdgE

Postby EdgE » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:52 am

PacManFan
Site Admin

Postby PacManFan » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:08 pm

phildlight

Postby phildlight » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:04 am