large build platform

This is the place to discuss various hardware. Topic include:
- Display devices (Projectors, Lasers & etc..)
- Microcontrollers & RAMPs boards
- Power supplies
- Z-Axis and Tilt assemblies
- etc..
andyp78
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

large build platform

Postby andyp78 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:19 pm

Hi everyone, this is my first post so go easy on me. Lol.
I am currently in the design stage of my dlp printer. But I'm a little stuck on build size.
My question is, is it possible to make a build platform of 500mm x 500 mm x 500 mm. Or there abouts.
Has anyone tackled this before?
would be good to get some ideas on this.

Phife
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: large build platform

Postby Phife » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:38 pm

Not really possible with a DLP projector, once you make the image that large you lose too much light power to cure resin quickly, and also the resolution at that size is very low. you can overcome this with using multiple projectors or moving the projector.

LCD would work better, im working on a 400x300x300 machine right now.

Lots of issues to overcome when you go that large, the forces involved to peel parts that large are very great and uniform even lighting is very important.

hp_

Postby hp_ » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:58 pm

also shrink of resin is becoming a big big issue.

hp

sitzme

Postby sitzme » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:42 am

I built a unit with a large platform (300x300) and still have some work to do on it. Shrinkage is an issue as mentioned. I made some test parts similar to belt buckles about 3" x 5" x .25" and there was enough warpage that they become unusable. A small gear for a RepRap extruder came out really nice though. The other issue with the large platform is releasing from the vat without pealing it off the build plate. This is where I had my biggest issues with shrinkage. I found that cure times were fairly linear based on lumins per unit area. I don't have the info handy but it was roughly 12 sec exposure time.

I hope to be able to get back to this and finish it up before long but who knows...

MrBaz

Postby MrBaz » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:53 am

Phife

Postby Phife » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:55 am

Yeah no.. lol

my 400x300 machine is 2048x1536 resolution and im working on a with a 9.6" panel that the same resolution. So not blah resolutions. The machine is large, i dont plan on making tiny high detail parts with it, its meant for large parts and the resolution is plenty high for that.

Also, all your other "issues" you listed do not exsist. No light leak, the LED array turns off and on between layers. I dont use UV so no issues with UV transitivity or uv degredation.

It is true that you can adjust the size/resolution of the build with a DLP by moving it. So that a plus there, but there are so many variations between projectors people use its hard to get things consistent. While you might be able to change the bulb into a UV LED on some projectors it isnt easy or even possible with most. Also bulb life on the projectors and cost of bulbs is no where near the life and cost of the LED systems. No issues like that with LCD/LED. The LED array is fully adjustable and scalable. Want a 40" printer, use a 4k LCD tv and a large array!

Glacian22

Postby Glacian22 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:44 am

hp_

Postby hp_ » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:52 am

Hi Glacian,

3d materials has this kind of resin.

hp

Glacian22

Postby Glacian22 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:36 am

Good to know! I'm looking on their site, and they don't have much in the way of specifics, or price. Did I just miss it somewhere?

hp_

Postby hp_ » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:54 pm

Glacian, its info that I know about :)