Improving resolution and build area on DLP

This is the place to discuss various hardware. Topic include:
- Display devices (Projectors, Lasers & etc..)
- Microcontrollers & RAMPs boards
- Power supplies
- Z-Axis and Tilt assemblies
- etc..
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Oowop
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Improving resolution and build area on DLP

Postby Oowop » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:50 pm

Greetings fellow citizens.

I'm elbows deep in DLP printer with RAMPS and there is no return. After some work I found out that 50um resolution on about 80x60mm platform is not good enough. What I would like to get to is 10um range on 500x375mm top down printer. How can it be achieved? I have some ideas and you guys can bash me if they are stupid.

1. I choose top down approach because I want to push beamer as close as possible to the build platform and focus. It also is much simple to build since there's no single surface mirror which is unobtanium. No borosilicate and no losses on a beam.
2. I can always size the VAT to the project with lab glass to keep the resin in check.
3. Platform size could be increased if we could move x and y axis and rebeam whole on a same Z position until whole piece is beamed then we move Z position. That means slicing and beaming would be different.

Ex.
Pushing my projector to make a 29um resolution gives me about 30x22mm build platform if I wanted to do the part let's say cylinder diameter 12mm about 300mm long I will make it in Sketchup and divide it 10 times 30mm long parts which represent slices. Then will fire up beamer and do one slice and move platform exactly 30mm in x direction and beam again, move 30mm in x direction and beam again until i reach 300mm then I would lift 10um on Z axis and repeat.

That will do by hand for testing purposes. It would be great if I could do that in Creation Workshop on y and x axis . Oh you guys who made CS would vote for president, best app after windows 7.

Ideas, suggestions and trolls welcome.

PacManFan
Site Admin

Re: Improving resolution and build area on DLP

Postby PacManFan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:29 pm

Thanks for the high praise! I've been working hard on CW for some time now. You might want to read this post : . I describe almost exactly what you're referring to using a moving projector. CW also currently supports multiple monitors. OSRC sells multi-projector setups. On my Probjects blog, I describe my machine a little bit. The project has stalled a little bit because of various other sub-projects, but I'm sure I'll pick it back up sooner or later.