Ways to procisely control the PDMS thickness?

This is the place to discuss various hardware. Topic include:
- Display devices (Projectors, Lasers & etc..)
- Microcontrollers & RAMPs boards
- Power supplies
- Z-Axis and Tilt assemblies
- etc..
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
keyanzhao
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Ways to procisely control the PDMS thickness?

Postby keyanzhao » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:54 am

Hi, guys, recently I have been interested in making a DLP 3D printer myself, for its higher resolution and faster fabricated speed.
So far, I know that with the bottom-up process to do a DLP 3D printer, a layer of PDMS is necessary, which is at the bottom of the resin vat. Yet we know that, by now, this layer of PDMS is made manually. Then here is my question: how to precisely control the distance between the build-platform and the unknown thickness of the PDMS? I think the thickness of PDMS is automatically affects the first fabricated layer. And as I can see, the build-platform will insert into PDMS if it is too thick while the z-home position cannot be adjusted accordingly. Is the first layer thickness in a DLP 3D printer less important than in a FDM 3D printer?
Any replies will be appreciated!
Thanks in andvance.
Last edited by keyanzhao on Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

keyanzhao

Re: Ways to procisely control the PDMS thickness?

Postby keyanzhao » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:10 am

Here is a simple diagram illustrates the "insert" condition, hope you guys can see it clearly.
Attachments
diagram.jpg
diagram