Instead of a projector, would an LCD with UV backlight work?

This is the place to discuss various hardware. Topic include:
- Display devices (Projectors, Lasers & etc..)
- Microcontrollers & RAMPs boards
- Power supplies
- Z-Axis and Tilt assemblies
- etc..
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
phreys
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Instead of a projector, would an LCD with UV backlight work?

Postby phreys » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:40 am

I saw this video while looking around and researching for my future build, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS1t3tHsx9k
and I was wondering why you "have" to use a projector? Wouldn't an LCD flush mounted to the resin container with UV backlighting work? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op00xgiD7sc similar to that process?

Phife

Re: Instead of a projector, would an LCD with UV backlight w

Postby Phife » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:18 am

No, LCD will not pass any UV light, it blocks all light below 400nm.

LCD can be used in 3d printing but with near uv sensitive resin, which most are. I am building an LCD printer with 410nm LED array, a simple backlight will not have enough power, you will lose 90% of the light as is passes through the LCD.

Its also not a simple task to build one of these machines, ive been working on this project for over a year and nearing completion of the first working prototype.