Laser Galvo question

This is the place to discuss various hardware. Topic include:
- Display devices (Projectors, Lasers & etc..)
- Microcontrollers & RAMPs boards
- Power supplies
- Z-Axis and Tilt assemblies
- etc..
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Jasonpgr
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Laser Galvo question

Postby Jasonpgr » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:39 am

I've been going back and forth on whether to do an LCD style set up, or a laser galvo. Now that I've found some really reasonably priced laser scanner heads, complete with 405nm laser, and f-theta lens for up to 300mm x 300mm print area, I think this is definitely the way I have to go. The supplier I've been talking to has asked me some questions that extend beyond my knowledge of lasers and galvanometers, seeing as how this is my first project that involves either one that's not a huge surprise. So I thought I'd relay those questions here and see if someone can give me some more direction.

1. Laser power? I'm assuming approx 150 mw would be plenty?

2. digital or analogue galvo? I'm assuming analogue, but I haven't done a whole lot of research on how exactly I'll be driving the galvo? Will I need a separate galvo control board in addition to the ramps 1.4 I was planning on using? Can I control it directly from a raspberry pi? Again, totally new to galvos and how they work and all that, so feel free to enlighten me as to the electronics necessary to pull this off.

3. connecting table? Not even sure what they mean by this, but hopefully someone here knows what they're talking about?

The supplier is a company from alibaba.com and the model they're offering is a Model JD2203 Galvanometer, with a 405nm laser and an f-theta lens lens specifically designed for a 405nm laser and a 300mm x 300mm working area. I'm expecting the total scanning head to come in around $500 or so, which is insanely cheap compared to the other options I've found online from American Suppliers. It's a big enough savings that I'm happy to drop the $500 on one of these scanners and give them a shot. Any feedback or input of any kind would be greatly appreciated since I'm in way over my head on this build.