Can CW be used for CNC machining?

Leinad78
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Can CW be used for CNC machining?

Postby Leinad78 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:11 pm

hello guys and especially Steve,

i got a cnc milling machine yesterday with some cruil software and as fdm printers are now supported, may i ask if CW could be used to mill instead of build and if you maybe have thought about integration of this kind of hardware.

my milling machine is pretty similar to those diy machines, but just a tad better build quality and higher precision parts. it uses 3 3amp stepper motors for the 3 axis and a 1000w Kress engine, which gets switched on and off by the controller hardware.

any hints in this hardware stuff is highly appreciated.

PacManFan
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Can CW be used for CNC machining?

Postby PacManFan » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:32 pm

One of the many goals of Creation workshop is to support as many machine types as possible, this means SLA machines, FDM printers, CNC machines, Laser cutters, powder-based printers, etc...
That all being said, CW currently supports SLA and FDM based machines. If you have a serial GCode controller for your CNC machine, there is no reason why you couldn't control a CNC mill or similar. One of the next important items that I plan on implementing is a generic slicer that can handle tool paths for CNC and for FDM machines. I would love to see a variety of machines controlled through CW.
-Steve

Leinad78

Postby Leinad78 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:03 pm

could you explain to me what you mean by serial Gcode controller?

johnrpm

Postby johnrpm » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:49 pm

CNC machines historicaly are programmed with Gcode, your controller should accept this gcode and perform the
steps you have programmed, programming used to be manual input, but CAM systems allow for 3dimensional work.

Do you have some images of the controller?.
Random Precision

PacManFan
Site Admin

Postby PacManFan » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:08 pm

Basically, many CNC programs such as Mach3 operate by interpreting the GCode on the host computer, then driving a motor controller circuit connected to the computer's parallel port. The host controller software generates these Step/Direction signals for the motors, then the motor controller controls the actual steppers. There are many examples of this for sale on Ebay:

It uses a parallel port directly connected to the computer, and the host computer interprets the GCode.

In a FDM printer (or some new CNC machines), the GCode is sent serially over a USB to serial converter to a controller card that has both the motor controller and a (usually) smaller microprocessor or embedded system. This controller processor is in charge of interpreting the GCode commands sent from the host computer, and converting them into the drive signals used by the motors. Here's an example you can find by searching for "RAMPs" controllers

That all being said, Creation Workshop currently only supports serial GCode controllers. Several people have asked if I intend on integrating parallel port based controllers into the software, the answer is a definite 'maybe', depending on how many people want support for it. I already have an architecture in CW that can easily support it.

I have seen several examples of CNC projects that people have build that use a RAMPs-style controller card to control their CNC mills. .
So, theoretically, if you have a CNC machine with a RAMPs controller card, you could use Creation Workshop in FDM mode today to drive it. (I should do this and make a video)
-Steve

Leinad78

Postby Leinad78 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:30 am

So serial means CW doensn´t support stepper driving via lpt port, it "just" works with usb connection?

I´ll upload some pictures of the control unit. this control unit is connected via the lpt port to a windows pc which runs the software called WinPC-NC. I even have the dongle for the software, my problem is the machine was delivered without software and now the developer wants me to pay 40$ for a CD with the software.

at that point i asked myself if CW could handle such a task ;)

the easiest way would be to find a postprocessor to go straight from catia cam into the milling machine, but i don´t think my boss lets me buy a postprocessor.
Attachments
C360_2014-01-22-08-04-54.jpg
C360_2014-01-22-07-58-33.jpg
C360_2014-01-22-07-57-12.jpg

johnrpm

Postby johnrpm » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:02 pm

I bought Mach3 some years ago, and it is very good, you will need a pc with parallel port, which I think you have already,
the other option is linux cnc, used to be called emc2, I have only dabbled with it because mach3 is available.
I have been building and using cnc's for over 25 years and mach3 is the best I have used for home use, I have no connection
with them, just my opinion.
Random Precision

PacManFan
Site Admin

Postby PacManFan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:37 pm

SIDRANA

Postby SIDRANA » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:28 pm

Hello, Dear Forum Members,

My apologies, if I am not suppose to post the links to other sites. Well in regards to cmc milling, there is a very interesting 2.5 CAM software HSMXPRESS and it is free of charge for personal USE. At this time software is being offered, with no time limit.

http://www.nexgencam.com/
Regards / Sid

http://www.nexgencam.com/index.php/try-hsmworks

Leinad78

Postby Leinad78 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:05 am

hello sidrana,

very interesting. as i don´t find a download button, i guess i have to register?! what happens next?

(edit) just found their german site and will contact them :)