Hollowed build in slices

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
dlp_builder
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Hollowed build in slices

Postby dlp_builder » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:08 pm

Hi,

since I've had so many problems with slic3r I installed this software.
I must say, since I've last seen it ages ago, it has come a long way!
I do have a problem though. I sliced some rings that I had with supports in a stl file.
When I look at the slices, the supports seem to be hollowed as well as some parts of the rings.

Any idea where this comes from and how to swith it off?

Thanks!
Attachments
slice_ring.png
here you see hollow bits in supports of 2 rings
slice_ring.png (8.04 KiB) Viewed 15786 times

PacManFan
Site Admin

Re: Hollowed build in slices

Postby PacManFan » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:24 pm

This is an issue with the geometry of the object. Creation workshop can handle when multiple objects intersect in 3d, however, it cannot render correctly when a single object self-intersects in 3d. I'm working on a method to detect and make the 'best guess' on rendering self-intersecting objects. It may be a version or two away. As long as the 3d geometry of the object is correct, it will render correctly. For some reason, I've seen a number of rings that have internal geometry and render incorrectly. Is there a program that people are using to generate these rings?

dlp_builder

Postby dlp_builder » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:25 pm

This isn't the ring itself though,
this is only the support structure and that is made automatically by the B9C software.
further on in the slices you see it in the ring also.
Thanks anyway for your help. I know now that it isn't a 'hollow' function.

Any recommendations for software (other than netfab) which can clean up the stl?

Danny

zerospace

Postby zerospace » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:36 pm

This is called INTERSELECTED SURFACES.
Solution is to handle it in any 3D software like 3DMAX or ZBrush manually via Boolean operations,
or some software which will repair (fix) this some kind of like NETFABB, etc.

Hope this helps.

dlp_builder

Postby dlp_builder » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:57 pm

Thanks zerospace,

I tried netfab straight away, but only the pro version probably solves it and thats way out of my league.
I will look into the other options you mentioned, see if that works.

Danny

Finhead

Postby Finhead » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:05 pm

If your willing to post your STL file I can have a look at it in Netfabb for you. You have to make sure your using the right settings or it's not going to repair anything for you.
Shame we can't use Cura for slicing it has a built in repair option (4 different ones actually) and does a great job on some STL files.

Clinton

Glacian22

Postby Glacian22 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:32 am

Don't suppose there's been any progress on the handling of self intersecting surfaces?

Glacian22

Postby Glacian22 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:17 am

And now that I'm thinking about it, what algorithm are you using for slicing? If you take a cross section at a given height, and use the geometry to provide outlines, along with using the direction of the triangles to define which are the inward pointing faces, then a simple paintbucket style fill wouldn't care about overlapping surfaces. Or is there an edge case that breaks this?

Barthadesign

Postby Barthadesign » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:29 am

Zbrush:
plugin/ 3d exporter stl import / ...edit!
Geomerty/Dynamesh
first no polish, high res
then plugin/Decimation Master cca. 20%
plugin/ 3d exporter stl
Lajos