Generating Support in CW

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
jon_bondy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Generating Support in CW

Postby jon_bondy » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:58 am

I cannot find even a hint of how to generate support using CW, despite the claim that this is possible on the CW web site. None of the topics on the CW web site are clickable, and when I try to open the User Manual in CW, nothing happens. Googling for this has failed.

Can CW generate support, or not? If so, how do I do this please? And if not, what tools are you using to generate support, please

Jon

badgerman

Re: Generating Support in CW

Postby badgerman » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:27 am

Consider yourself supported :)

Chris

jon_bondy

Postby jon_bondy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:05 am

Chris:

Thanks so much!

I thought that "+" had to do with adding objects to the build surface. It might be better to add a button that simply says "Support"

Jon

jon_bondy

Postby jon_bondy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:49 am

I can now generate support. When I do so, there is a big triangle with an exclamation point under the part. No idea what is wrong. Does the UI need to be this confusing? It's like a big guessing game.

badgerman

Postby badgerman » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:10 pm

I think that means that your model is lower than the build area floor. I found that when I moved my model down into the floor that the exclamation appeared (purely by accident). Most of my knowledge of CWS is trial and error with a healthy dose of button clicking!

jon_bondy

Postby jon_bondy » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:10 am

Of course, my model is not lower than the build plate: the generated support is lower.

And the support appears to be generated everywhere, independent of the angle of the model.

redonix76

Postby redonix76 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:39 pm

If your model sits exactly on 0 then the support at that areas will go below the 0...i know it's not smart enough to know that you dont need support where it's touching 0. You can double click on each support that's is below 0 and hit delete.

I suggest playing with the spacing...to have more or less supports. Also try the see the difference between bed of nails and adaptive. You can also select the only downward facing option.

Since CW is still a work in progress and free to use, I suggest just messing around with it and try different things. you'll get the hang of it soon!