Basic CW questions

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
KoogieBuffalo
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Basic CW questions

Postby KoogieBuffalo » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:40 am

New to all this...Basic questions:
1. Do I have to close the program to start over or view a new part?
2. Are the inch->mm and mm->inch scale buttons just repeatable scaling multipliers?
3. Is it just me, or does the right menu shuffle back to its home position on each click (in a new area) for everyone?
4. Why do I have to click inch->mm or mm->inch to get my scale correct (it varies, depending on the part)?

What to do?:
1. I go to slice view and only see a black screen with a blank Layer # box.

What have I done?:
1. Some parts have become magnetically attracted to the cursor! When this happens, the parts will not follow in all directions, so the parts unattach but reattach when the mouse hovers above them again. How do I stop this?

thank you

PomeroyB

Re: Basic CW questions

Postby PomeroyB » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:57 am

Basic questions:
1. You should not have to. I just delete the old part and load in a new one.
2. Probably. Steve can clarify
3. This bug has been around for a while, yes.
4. Your modeling program either exports in inches or mm. The STL file format doesn't specify which it is, so the humans are forced to intervene.

What to do:
1. You need to slice your model before anything shows up in the slice view. Check out for a quick slicing overview.

What have you done:
1. I haven't heard of this behavior before, and it's hard to visualize. Can you possibly record your screen while the bug is occurring?

Lastly, welcome to the forums! :)

KoogieBuffalo

Re: Basic CW questions

Postby KoogieBuffalo » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:16 am

Thank you, PB, for the CW 'How To' doc. I looked for it before, but couldn't find it. With a little help from you and the How To, I'm a little closer to printing my first part!

The weird 'magnet' behavior started (this time, anyway) when I saved the file. I recorded it (attached). I tried to repeat it, but it didn't happen again.
Once my mouse 'attaches' to the part, nothing I do fixes it, unless I restart CW (no big deal).

You can see in the video where I click the mouse to rotate the view (the blue dot shows). If I move the mouse away quickly, it becomes unattached, but reattaches (like a magnet) if I get too close to the part again.

One last question: Is there a zoom function in the slice view window? Only part of my part is visible on my screen.