Anti-aliasing improvements - should be non-linear

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
gmoneyphx
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Anti-aliasing improvements - should be non-linear

Postby gmoneyphx » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:41 am

The biggest area for quality improvement in larger build sizes relates to the anti-aliasing function I think. The curing is non linear with respect to pixel brightness. Example - if the vector line of an edge intersects 50% of a target pixel the brightness setting should be closer to 220 instead of the more obvious 128 you would expect. Any hope of being able to better define this with maybe an external txt file? When done properly the improvement in quality is dramatic.

PacManFan
Site Admin

Re: Anti-aliasing improvements - should be non-linear

Postby PacManFan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:50 am

I think I understand the importance of antialiasing now and the difference it can make in print quality. My first step is to allow AA in a range of 1-5x using a bu-cubic resampling alg.

gmoneyphx

Postby gmoneyphx » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:07 am

When you choose the export images option does the software use these images for the build? I wonder if I can do some further post processing on them before starting the build. Is there a way to enable this?

PacManFan
Site Admin

Postby PacManFan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:34 am

There are 2 main 'modes' of slicing:
If you check the 'export images' checkbox, then the slicer will generate all images and save them to disk. At print time, the build manager will use these pre-sliced images, loaded from disk. If you want to modify the images with a script or external program, you can do it anytime before printing.

If the 'export images' is NOT checked, then the slicer will generate the images on-the-fly during the build process.

johnrpm

Postby johnrpm » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:38 am

As I am so good at creating work for other people, what if CW had image processing plugins to
give users options for experimentation, a bit like gimp plugins.
Random Precision