Multiple monitors

Here is the place to discuss software and related tools for Slice generation, machine control, & etc...
PacManFan
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Multiple monitors

Postby PacManFan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:34 am

I'm trying to start a discussion here about adding support for multiple monitors to Creation Workshop, and I'd like to get some input from everyone here in the forums on how best to do it. Several interested parties have approached me about this already, and I 'sorta' have a plan on how to do it. My initial thought is to basically create a virtual build platform corresponding to the size of the actual build platform. I would create image slices that correspond to this platform size. For example: if someone had 2 DLP projectors - each with a 1024x768 resolution, then I could construct a virtual 2048x768 or 1024x1536 series of slices. In the monitor setup portion of CW, I could allow the user to basically edit a rectangle that corresponds to a section of this larger virtual image for each monitor.
During the build, each portion of the the defined rectangle's image would be displayed on the DLP (or display device). I can support as many monitors as the system will allow to stitch together a much larger images, displayed across multiple display devices. This has the advantage of a large size while keeping the desired dots/mm resolution (typically 10pix/mm).
Thoughts? Suggestions? For now, I know this is ignoring issues such as vat separation on larger models, model shrinkage, etc..
-Steve

johnrpm
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Multiple monitors

Postby johnrpm » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:13 pm

I have the feeling this is a dumb question but Just to get my head around this, are you talking about multiple monitors into a single large vat, or multiple machines building seperate parts, when I understand I will then have some more questions.
anyway it sounds interesting.
Random Precision

PacManFan
Site Admin

Postby PacManFan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:22 pm

I'm referring to using multiple projectors / display devices on a single machine for the purpose of increasing the build area without sacrificing resolution. Several interested parties have asked me about adding this feature. I'm planning out on how to do it properly and seeing if anyone else has any requested features to add to it.

johnrpm

Postby johnrpm » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:53 am

Does the size of the projector need to be small, or can keystone be used to compensate for convergence.
Random Precision

James

Postby James » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:09 am

Unless you were going to print at a very small scale I don't think projector size would be an issue, given the size of the common projector. But if one did want to print at a small scale with two projectors then your suggestion of using keystone compensated projections would probably work very well, provided one could set the keystone rate accurately and repeatedly.
I prefer to know nothing about everything rather than everything about nothing. :)

johnrpm

Postby johnrpm » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:50 am

You know how some image editors have a function to add a picture frame, well
what if each image had a mortice and tennon frame to provide a jigsaw effect???.
Random Precision

James

Postby James » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:58 pm

Hmmm... I'm not getting it.

So as to blend the seams together better? Is that what your talking about?
I prefer to know nothing about everything rather than everything about nothing. :)

sitzme

Postby sitzme » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:15 pm

Would it be useful to be able to have X and Y offsets available for each frame? My thought is that you have the projectors locked down with a slight overlap. Have a black border around each frame. Set the X,Y offsets to tweek the images until the desired alignment is achieved. If the border size and offsets are variables, it would make it possible to make fine adjustments.

I also find the idea of interlocking tabs interesting but am not sure if I have a use for them. That is also a feature that could be incorporated into the model if the intention is to print it in parts and then assemble.

I am glad to hear you are working on this. I may have to build a vat from a sliding glass door!

Tom

Postby Tom » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:37 pm

I think this idea is awesome.
How to use two projectors?
Will you change the Creation Workshop's C# code?

PacManFan
Site Admin

Postby PacManFan » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:46 pm