Supports done in B9 and CW not showing up as solid??

Here is the place to discuss software and related tools for Slice generation, machine control, & etc...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Newbie01
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Supports done in B9 and CW not showing up as solid??

Postby Newbie01 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:49 am

So I have used B9 and CW separately to create some supports on two different models but when I slice, I see that the supports are causing issues. In Meshmixer when I use inspector it shows the supports in pink (don't know what pink means) but it is differentiating it from the rest of the model:

When I try repair it in Netfabb is crashes. And when I try slice it the image shows up like this:

I can covert to solid in Meshmixer but it then degrades the quality of the part. Anyone know what is causing this and how I can fix it?

cew

Re: Supports done in B9 and CW not showing up as solid??

Postby cew » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:43 pm

I've had similar problems with supports, meshmixer and slicing in CW. Below are some suggestions that helped with my prints:

-Use autodesk print studio to generate supports. This is free and has been the most reliable for my work. I used the 'ember' default settings then increased strut clearance and adjusted tip size, density to suit. The stls with supports can then be used in meshmixer (see below) and the recent version of CW ok.

-The version of CW seemed to make a difference. Version 1.0.0.75 works well for my use. I had some similar slicing issues with some prints in the earlier version 1.0.0.36 which has 2 slicer options.

- When using meshmixer 'makesolid' it can help to adjust some of the settings such as increasing the mesh density and decreasing cell size.

Newbie01

Postby Newbie01 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:23 pm

Okay thanks for the advice, I haven't used Autodesk Print Studio yet so I'll give that a try.

Meshmixer I only ever use for doing supports, but for the prints in the picture the tallest object is only 20mm high and even when I turn the detail to the highest settings the supports always come out rough when I convert to solid (Meshmixer for some reason also adds extra supports when I convert to solid).

I'll give the 1.0.0.75 version of CW a go as well.

Cheers

cew

Postby cew » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:48 am

Nb apparently "convert to solid" should not be used in the support generation menu for SLA supports.

see http://www.instructables.com/id/Meshmix ... -Supports/

Newbie01

Postby Newbie01 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:11 am

Yeah I read that link a while back but I don't think it's a great guide. With Meshmixer I always have to save the .mix file before converting to solid so I can then make whatever support changes I might need to make to it later. But I have to convert to solid for the supports to actually show up in the .stl file. There was a comment on the bottom of the link with someone saying a similar thing.