TIP: Shutting down CW between slicing operations helps memory, and as result slices faster

Here is the place to discuss software and related tools for Slice generation, machine control, & etc...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PM-12345
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

TIP: Shutting down CW between slicing operations helps memory, and as result slices faster

Postby PM-12345 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:03 pm

Shutting down CW between slicing operations helps memory, and as result slices faster.--------(This is a message I communicated to PacMan but thought it might benefit others in the forum as well).

With my task manager on the performance tab I can see if I do not completely shut down CW between slicing models, the Memory (RAM) used by slicing the previous model never gets "freed up”.

In other words if (a) I slice "model 1" and my memory usage shows 4gb and then (b) I delete the "Model 1 Scene" and then (c) I create a new "model 2 Scene" and slice -----the memory usage jumps to 7gb, and so on and so on until about the 4rth model I can see my 16 of memory is almost being 100% used-------HOWEVER if I completely shut down CW between slicing my memory usage always stay around the 4gb mark.

So somehow the software is not "releasing" the usage of memory of previous models unless you completely close out of CW and then start it up again.

Anyway, hope this feedback helps

rkundla

Re: TIP: Shutting down CW between slicing operations helps memory, and as result slices faster

Postby rkundla » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:42 pm

It appears that there is some sort of garbage collecting that isn't being done between reslicing. Luckily it isn't a memory leak. ;-)

Since the slices appear to be stored in memory, versus saved to disk in a temporary file and retrieved as needed, it puts a little bit of a burden on the memory subsystem, especially if you only have 2 GB and want to slice something substantial.

wdshea

Re: TIP: Shutting down CW between slicing operations helps memory, and as result slices faster

Postby wdshea » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:55 am

what operating system are you using? i have this issue with win8.1 and win10, but my wife's computer has win7 home and runs CW just fine, even with AA set to 4.

i finally figured this out tonight, and may revert to win7 for the printer's computer.