nanoDLP - Raspberry Pi DLP Host Software

Here is the place to discuss software and related tools for Slice generation, machine control, & etc...
shahin

Re: nanoDLP - Raspberry Pi DLP Host Software

Postby shahin » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:30 am

jkao wrote:Also, for wiring a stepper, I presume that you need a separate power supply to drive the stepper? Do you have an example of the full set of components and wiring that you use for your setup?

Unfortunately my friend who help us in wiring department is quite busy, I am not sure when he could provide diagram and files for our board.

About stepper, you are right power should connect to stepper motor driver, there are two pins on stepper driver which should connect to raspberry pi, direction and movement pins.

jkao

Postby jkao » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:45 pm

Yeah, I think the issue of doing automated surface area analysis is a separate issue. I plan to prototype this as a standalone app that outputs layer settings to test this, so no need to integrate this into a host controller at the moment until I figure out some rudimentary methods and have code.

I think that one way that would work for me would be the following:

Global Configuration
  • Create a Profile, e.g. "Profile for 100 micron FunToDo Black resin"
  • Each profile has a list of Region Settings
  • Each Region Setting contains parameters for a given region, like "Attachment Layer: 90 sec exposure time, 10mm lift height, 10mm/min lift speed, 200mm/min return speed, 1 post-return settling delay"

Per-Print Setup
  • Pick a profile
  • Pick the layer settings that you will use for the print and place them in an ordered list
  • Pick the layer # or height at which a given layer setting will take effect

During Print Real-Time Changes
  • Change layer settings for remainder of print

Max

Postby Max » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:42 am

I had just a question? What is required for turning the projector on and off? Should I use a Max3232 chip? I also couldn't find which pins are used for projector.

adambx

Postby adambx » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:54 pm

Hi,
it looks like a nice piece of software. I haven't been able to try it yet though. I'm using a Trinamic stepper driver for which i'm writing my own firmware.
Is there a possibility to implement a function to send custom serial commands (Ascii or binary) instead of directly controlling the driver?

I really like the function of masking parts of the area while printing! Also waiting for a premultiplied mask to correct exposure issues ;)

Cheers^^

shahin

Postby shahin » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:41 pm

Max wrote:I had just a question? What is required for turning the projector on and off? Should I use a Max3232 chip? I also couldn't find which pins are used for projector.

You can use RxD/TxD pins but it is easier to use any serial to usb adaptor, it should work out of the box.

shahin

Postby shahin » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:16 pm

adambx wrote:Hi,
it looks like a nice piece of software. I haven't been able to try it yet though. I'm using a Trinamic stepper driver for which i'm writing my own firmware.
Is there a possibility to implement a function to send custom serial commands (Ascii or binary) instead of directly controlling the driver?

I really like the function of masking parts of the area while printing! Also waiting for a premultiplied mask to correct exposure issues ;)

Cheers^^

Those Trinamic stepper drivers are quite interesting but I never had good experience with RPi's serial port. I will take a look later to see if it worth development time to support it.

In order to add mask support, I have add SLC rendering capability to the program, it takes 0.7s per layer + 2.5s for Anti-aliasing to make layer's image available for printing. I guess it would takes another 0.5s for masking. It runs in parallel to the printing program. It would only delay printing if the layer's image is not ready. I am not sure if the masking and slc to image processes should run on RPi. It could be done few times faster on decent PC.

adambx

Postby adambx » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:02 pm

from what i read, you put a lot of thought into the programming. Would it be possible to just use a USB-Serial Converter to support sending serial commands if the PI internal UART sucks? Probably it could be used to further expand support for GCODE Devices, maybe?

Max

Postby Max » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:52 am

Can you give me more details on how to control the projector? whatever I do my projector won't turn on. I should turn it on manually.

shahin

Postby shahin » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:50 pm

adambx wrote:from what i read, you put a lot of thought into the programming. Would it be possible to just use a USB-Serial Converter to support sending serial commands if the PI internal UART sucks? Probably it could be used to further expand support for GCODE Devices, maybe?

I have to talk with our hardware guy to see if it would help or not.

shahin

Postby shahin » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:53 pm

Max wrote:Can you give me more details on how to control the projector? whatever I do my projector won't turn on. I should turn it on manually.

You have to enter your projector, turn on and off commands into setup page. Current command only works on Acer projectors.