Which parameters impact need for support

Here is the place to discuss software and related tools for Slice generation, machine control, & etc...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Hugues
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Which parameters impact need for support

Postby Hugues » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:15 am

Hi guys,

been reading this forum for a while now, always plenty of interesting topics.

I'm about to receive my Titan1 DLP printer from Kudo3d, it has been shipped.

I've been wondering about the use of support structures for a while now, without really understanding what drives the need for them.

I have a regular FDM printer, and the need for support is easy to understand.

But with a bottom-up resin printer (i hope i get this right, projector is below resin vat), when do we need to add supports ?

I can for sure imagine that after the first few layers, any part of a new layer must be connected to the rest of that layer, there cannot be "islands" printed, right ?

But is there a maximum angle like in FDM ? For example, a L shape part can be printed without support ? or 90 degrees is to sharp an angle ?

I guess a drawing would better explain what i want to say here...

PomeroyB

Re: Which parameters impact need for support

Postby PomeroyB » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:43 pm

I'm not entirely sure for bottom up -- I would say your best bet is to look at prints that people on the forum have done on bottom up printers, and see where they used support. You are definitely correct on not having islands of cured resin, and some 90 degree angles (Like the bridges on the Eiffel Tower) can easily be printed.