Generate Support Material - NOT spikes

Here is the place to discuss software and related tools for Slice generation, machine control, & etc...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kvirre
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Generate Support Material - NOT spikes

Postby Kvirre » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:47 am

Hi,

I know there are several ways to generate support material (spikes).
- Meshmixer
- B9 Creator SW
- CW internal

But it's always spikes .... why?
The industry seams to favor web-mesh style.
And as I see it, I would like to have that to :
http://www.makepartsfast.com/2009/03/71 ... -software/

Is there an application out there that generate Web-like support materials instead of spikes.
(Form1 seems to use hybrid solution that looks nice to me, but it's not possible to export as STL)

PacManFan
Site Admin

Re: Generate Support Material - NOT spikes

Postby PacManFan » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:03 am

I've actually been working on a new mesh-support structure that can do inter and intra object support, Hopefully, it'll be in one of the next few versions.

Kvirre

Postby Kvirre » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:44 pm

Nice!
I'm looking forward to this.

Since SLA enables us to create very thin support structure, why not do just that.

However ... thinking about it, a failed thin structure may ruin a hole print?
Since that failed point will stick to VAT and therefore makes it impossible to print at that XY coordinate from that moment on (until reset).
Typically an overhang scenario .... this may be to risky and not worth the hustle?

I don't know, please share your thoughts here guys ...

PacManFan
Site Admin

Postby PacManFan » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:37 pm

I think if I have a setting for the thickness of the wall, it can help lower the risk of print failure.

Kvirre

Postby Kvirre » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:35 am

Hi,

Just found this
http://makex.com/blog/2015/02/10/xmaker ... -released/

Seems like a great idea to use hollow rods .... this could save resin.
In that case, a larger diameter could be used for extra support as long as the thickness of the rod itself is thin.