Z steps/mm Marlin settings and CW

Here is the place to discuss software and related tools for Slice generation, machine control, & etc...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
telephone1652
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Z steps/mm Marlin settings and CW

Postby telephone1652 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:34 pm

Hi all,

I'm working on tuning my z axis movement and am running into a snag.

I'm using the standard RAMPS 1.4 kit with the Pololu drivers interfacing with a NEMA 17 and a ball-screw. The screw has a 2mm pitch and a diameter of 16mm.

After reading several of the guides for setting up Marlin and checking running the calculator on the prusaprinters.org page I used a steps/mm value of 1600, under the assumption that the default for the Pololu drivers was 1/16 microstepping.

1600 steps/mm produced very large z movements, so I scaled down, testing and measuring as I went. Eventually, it turned out that 100 steps/mm produces an accurate movement. I press the 1 mm button in CW and see 1 mm of motion. However, the 0.025 mm button now requires 3 clicks to activate and seems to travel further than 0.025mm.

Querying the position with the M114 command shows that each button press is incrementing the position by 0.025mm, but the motor only responds to the third press.

I think I'm misunderstanding something about the firmware, and any help would be much appreciated.

telephone1652

Re: Z steps/mm Marlin settings and CW

Postby telephone1652 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:04 pm

A-ha.

It turns out I didn't have any of the jumpers under the stepper driver board attached. For anyone else running into this issue, here's the table:

jumper Yes/No step size
1 2 3
no no no full step
yes no no half step
no yes no 1/4 step
yes yes no 1/8 step
yes yes yes 1/16 step

Switching to 1/16 microstepping, I find that the 0.025mm button in CW works great.

PomeroyB

Postby PomeroyB » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:06 pm

Good to hear that you fixed your issue, and thanks for posting the info about the jumpers! It's always the details that get you! :)

(Also welcome to the forum!)

akhgarinduction1800

Postby akhgarinduction1800 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:58 am

hi dears
i have some problem with my firmware,marlin have lots of variables to change.
i am working with e Generic driver of CW beta 13
i appreciate if any one can help me.

PacManFan
Site Admin

Postby PacManFan » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:56 pm