Introductions... And a new beginning

Here is the place to discuss software and related tools for Slice generation, machine control, & etc...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Rumplestillskin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Introductions... And a new beginning

Postby Rumplestillskin » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:29 am

Hello good Sirs,

My name is Rumplestillskin. I hail from a land without SLA Printers therefor i know very little on the subject. However having been introduced to this new and fantastic technology i am driven to master it and create such a machine myself. I am currently seeking information on LCD and Laser printers and my immediate questions are as follows.

Laser:
-I have acquired a taste for a certain raspberry pi and there is currently opensource "software", ill call it, named printipi. It was designed for FDM printing.
-My question is can i use that software to run a laser SLA using two steppers on the laser and one on the vat? If so what would the accuracy be? If not how do i controll the laser?

LCD:
-Almost totally lost on these
-So you have the LCD and controller running on software that allows you to display it as a monitor?
-If so is there a program you must use to make it function properly replacing the DLP? I understand its not projecting and the need for close proximity but not how the UV led light it tranfered in such a way to cure the resin.

Many a quest hath been discarded due to my loss of motivation ( as im sure you all know to well). I will work hard to fullfill this journey but fear i cannot do it alone. So... who will go with me!?

PomeroyB

Re: Introductions... And a new beginning

Postby PomeroyB » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:22 am

First off, welcome to the forums!

Usually laser SLA is done with a galvo system -- rather than move things along axes (slow), you just tilt small mirrors to reflect the laser at the point you want (fast). Look into LaserShark for this.

I hate to crush dreams, but forget about PrintiPi for now. For one thing, it's extremely beta -- which means a lot of it is undocumented, and your single source of support would be the author. It is also currently only works for delta configurations, so you'd have to write a motion control system for your platform.

As for LCD, check out the following site:
http://www.lcd3dprinter.com/

As far I can tell it's run almost the exact same way as a DLP -- you just set it up as a secondary monitor, and project your slices to that.

Rumplestillskin

Postby Rumplestillskin » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:11 pm

Thanks alot. Found a bunch of info on this site and hope i can contribute to the movement.

Thats pretty neat that they controll it with mirrors. I assume very small mirrors. what kind of software controlls the mirrors?

PomeroyB

Postby PomeroyB » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:41 pm

Check out for info about the LaserShark.

I also think that CWS has support for lasershark... or is at least in the process of doing so. A quick search on this forum should help you.