Manual Jog Wheel for Z-Axis movement

Here is the place to discuss software and related tools for Slice generation, machine control, & etc...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kvirre
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Manual Jog Wheel for Z-Axis movement

Postby Kvirre » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:06 pm

Hi,

I am using Ramps and Marlin FW.
Now, I would like to add a jog-wheel to control the Z-axis (during reset for a print).

There is the "Smart Display" (or what it's called) for Ramps with menu-options to do this.
For me, it's overkill and unwanted to go all the way through the menu-system.

So I ask you programmers and HW-dudes, is there a simple way to add an encoder (or 2 buttons).
To manually control the Z-axis anytime without going through the computer.

One possible thought is to simulate the display menus presses on boot.
Then connect an encoder (jog-wheel) to the proper pins on Ramps ....

As I said, this is just a thought, I need some help with the execution.
Hopefully more then I would be interested in a solutions for this .... make your voice heard.

PacManFan
Site Admin

Re: Manual Jog Wheel for Z-Axis movement

Postby PacManFan » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:41 pm

Creation Workshop already has manual controls. Yours might not be enabled (visible). Go to the machine configuration screen, and click the checkboxes on the irght hand side to dissplay the various controls. Click apply to save your changes and go to the manual control screen.

Kvirre

Postby Kvirre » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:02 am

PomeroyB

Postby PomeroyB » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:38 am

You should just bite the bullet and use the smart controller. You can easily modify the menu tree to show exactly what you want.

The menu tree is found within .

The menu tree already is a listener for the pins, and will send the printer gcode when you do things like spin the wheel. If you want to just use a rotary encoder hooked up to some pins, you will have to create a new listener for the pins, and handle the gcode sending yourself. The menu system also ensures that you can't move things around by accident while you're printing.

Kvirre

Postby Kvirre » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:24 am

cncbasher

Postby cncbasher » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:18 am

going by memory the encoder pins are :
The middle pin attaches to ground. the other two to pins D33 and D35 on your ramps AUX-4 connector
the centre shaft push switch is D29 and ground

Kvirre

Postby Kvirre » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:50 am