Partial infill possible ?

Here is the place to discuss software and related tools for Slice generation, machine control, & etc...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Hugues
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Partial infill possible ?

Postby Hugues » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:06 pm

Hi guys,

been reading about DLP for a while, on this forum and elsewhere.

Still one thing (actually many) that is not clear for me. Can we use partial infill with resin and DLP ?

Seems that most people use 100% filled or shelled, but can we use partial infill like in FDM ? To save on resin ?

I read that you cannot do it because resin cannot escape the inside of the part. But i'm having problem to picture this.

Let's say you want to print a cube at 50% infill, and your infill pattern is just a grid, superimposed at each layer. So you have square tubes inside your part, except the first 3 and last 3 layers. When your part is almost finished to print, before the last 3 full layers, the resin inside your part can escape, right ? If you do your last 3 full layers with the minimum resin in your vat, you would end up with a bit of resin inside the part, but not completely filled either, right ?

Or is it that resin cannot really escape due to capillary effect of these small square tubes ?

Surely i missed something here.

hp_

Re: Partial infill possible ?

Postby hp_ » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:12 pm

hi Hugues,

you are correct about the capillary effect, the resin is just filled halfway into an object.

cheers,
hp