Compatable resins with LittleRP

Forum dedicated to discussion and technical support centered around the LittleRP affordable, open source 3D resin printer.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Head-Zonk Studios
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Compatable resins with LittleRP

Postby Head-Zonk Studios » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:46 pm

It seems that MadeSolid has fallen off the face of the earth, so I'm looking for a new brand of resin.

I have been using MakerJuice SF red, but I need something that is platinum cure silicone compatible. I know that there are ways around it, but most of those require coating the print in something. and what I'm making is rather small and high detailed.

I was going to use MadeSolid's Vortex orange because I remember hearing that worked better. Can't remember where, I could be mistaken.
Anyway, I've been looking at some of the stuff from FormLabs. It seems like they're making stuff that's pretty similar, even though they're selling it in cartridges for their printers. I would like something that's sort of translucent since it seems like that would cure a little better, but I'll take whatever works.

Anyone have any suggestions?

cew

Re: Compatable resins with LittleRP

Postby cew » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:28 pm

For molding platinum cure silicones its important to fully cure the resin. This typically involves prolonged UV then a thorough heat cure. There should be no residual smell when the resin is cut. Mold release is also needed - a coat of Mann Ease 200 works well.

If the silicone still fails to fully cure the first time then clean with isopropyl, dry, recoat with mold release and usually works the second time.

We mainly use B9 black resin for molding silicones - although it requires more pigment for small details and the heat curing requires a careful ramp to avoid cracks.

bonekollector

Postby bonekollector » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:28 pm

I've been using FTD Snow White w/ black pigment (enough to get 50% gray) with good success. Took me a few tries to get the settings worked out: Walls are set to 1.5 mm, layer cure time is 3000 & I do 30 sec of rinsing in alcohol & then blow off with compressed air & then about 10 mins in uv cure box for very good results.

Head-Zonk Studios

Postby Head-Zonk Studios » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:55 pm

bonekollector

Postby bonekollector » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:28 am

I haven't tried the deep black but have heard good things.

I print at .50, I've only had my littlerp printer ~2 months & haven't tried going finer yet.

I believe the pigment reduces light spill ( based on a little experience as well as what others have shared with me) so in theory it should help with detail, but I haven't tried any side by side tests to see for sure. I just like middle gray :-)

goopyplastic

Postby goopyplastic » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:19 pm

I have some deep black I can test, I plan on doing some more testing soon mainly focusing on waxcast and the acer x152h

Head-Zonk Studios

Postby Head-Zonk Studios » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:32 am