Is LittleRP worth for Jewellery

Forum dedicated to discussion and technical support centered around the LittleRP affordable, open source 3D resin printer.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Nitros
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Is LittleRP worth for Jewellery

Postby Nitros » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:35 am

Hi All,

I'm pondering to buy this printer but i would like to know if is it good enough for printing jewellery? if so what the best projector to buy to achive the best resolution possible?

PS: This will be my first printer.

Mattasmack

Re: Is LittleRP worth for Jewellery

Postby Mattasmack » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:50 pm

I would say yes, it's good enough. I believe printing jewelry is what it was designed for.

The quality of the print is down to the projector you use and how you set it up. I built my LittleRP on the cheap and am using an old projector I got off Ebay for ~$50, so its resolution is coarse. I have about 60 micron resolution x and y and I print 40 micron layers. That's been good enough so far, but I haven't made any really intricate or fine designs. Unless you're starting on the cheap like me, do get a projector that has 1080p native resolution. Beyord that, you can find past discussions on this board about specific projectors and I think there are some specific models suggested on the LittleRP website.

I'm still a novice at casting and silversmithing in general, but here are a few designs I recently printed and cast in silver to try out. These have all been tumbled for several hours but not otherwise polished:

IMG_0002-sm.JPG

The buckyball at back-left is pretty much polished smooth (at least on the outside) just from the tumbling, while on the orb on its right you can still see print layer lines in the middle. The other pieces are generally rough and will need more hand clean-up work.

If you get a better projector you can probably get to about half the resolution of what I'm working at (~30 um x and y), which would give you much cleaner casts to start with.

sgraber

Postby sgraber » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:46 am

Nice! Who's resin are you using?
Research Chemist

Mattasmack

Postby Mattasmack » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:26 am

I'm using B9's Emerald resin. I don't have much to compare it to; the only other resin I've used is MakerJuice's G+, which I used while getting the printer up and running initially. I really appreciate how the pigment doesn't settle out, but the high viscosity is vexing sometimes. I'm still tweaking the lift gcode to give enough delay between layers at the beginning of each print without being way too slow for the rest of the print.

I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to cast with it, though. I found stories online of people doing all kinds of things to get various resins to cast cleanly -- modifying their kilns, burn-out schedule, investment; doing crazy post-curing routines ... I haven't had to do any of that. It's just worked.

I intend to try MakerJuice's WaxCast, but the liter of Emerald I have now is going to last forever, so I'm in no hurry ...

Nitros

Postby Nitros » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:43 am

@mattasmack could you please tell me what projector did you get?

Mattasmack

Postby Mattasmack » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:25 pm

Nitros

Postby Nitros » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:27 am

Hi All i got the pjd7820hd in the end, but now i need some help to fine tune it anyone?