Shrinkage?

Forum dedicated to discussion and technical support centered around the LittleRP affordable, open source 3D resin printer.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
hirenashra
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Shrinkage?

Postby hirenashra » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:48 pm

So there's lot's of talk on the internet about shrinkage. Some say it happens and some say it doesn't.

After calibration, my ring came out about a size and a half too small. Is this shrinkage or another reason to re-calibrate?

Any jewellery designers come across this issue?

Nonnef

Re: Shrinkage?

Postby Nonnef » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:43 am

It happens. Just in varying degrees.
Normally it's only around <3%, but it's highly dependent on design, temp, and material.
If your prints are 150% off then I'd say it sounds more like a calibration issue and not a shrinkage one.

hirenashra

Postby hirenashra » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:43 pm

goopyplastic

Postby goopyplastic » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:54 pm

The best way to calibrate would be to print out an object with a known x/y size measure the printed part with calipers and adjust the build dimensions. You can get very accurate prints by adjusting this way.

DanOrgan

Postby DanOrgan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:14 am

Recently, I have tried some cheap local (Made in Russia) experimental resin. It was printable, but all models were significantly short in Z-axis, maybe 10%-20% compare to X and Y. And straight vertical walls were not actual straight but curved.

Now, I am printing with FunToDo resins and have no major problems with shrinkage.

hirenashra

Postby hirenashra » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:20 pm

Great, I will measure a 20x20x5 block and try this out. Many thanks!!

hirenashra

Re: Shrinkage

Postby hirenashra » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:26 pm

Okay, so it turns out my calibrations are actually okay on X and Y. My 20x20x5 block is to close tolerations however I'm still getting a ring two sizes smaller than the original.

I noticed though that whilst printing the ring, the supports on the base are almost non-existent. The ring shank seems to bypass the 5mm length supports and just amalgamates with the base? Is this a Z issue?

Could this contribute also to the ring size being two sizes smaller?

Any light on this would be great! :)

Nonnef

Postby Nonnef » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:37 pm

So your calibration prints are all coming out fine but the ring is still coming out way too small?
You didn't mention how the calibration on Z was; be sure to test that as well.
I'd say that's hinting at an issue with the file itself. Maybe the STL is being auto scaled by half somewhere in the software pipeline?

hirenashra

Postby hirenashra » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:01 pm