Tilt upgrade FEP modification

Forum dedicated to discussion and technical support centered around the LittleRP affordable, open source 3D resin printer.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
DanOrgan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tilt upgrade FEP modification

Postby DanOrgan » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:22 pm

Hi! I was wonder, if there is a way to create really powerful anti-sticking solution. Because, you know, there is some cheap resins (like FTD castable), that very sticky, and the result of each print are very dependable from coating conditions.
I am going to modificate standard tilt upgrade with FEP film.
You can see some ideas for vat modification at the images below.
Please, share your thoughts. Is it going to work or not? I can share .STL files if anyone needs it.
Unfortunately, I don't have any FDM printer, but I'll order those parts soon and will test it on my machine.

PS. Sorry for my English, I am not native.

nalmeida

Re: Tilt upgrade FEP modification

Postby nalmeida » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:53 pm

It looks like it'll work. I don't know why people keep opting to push the fep down when the opposite seems more logical. Doing the inverse keeps the vat bottom almost at the same height of the original petri dish and the pushing force is done upwards so by pushing it down when the z-arm lifts the fep offers better resistance to the movement.

DanOrgan

Postby DanOrgan » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:42 pm

Nalmeida, there is a reason, why I am pushing FEP down. It is easy to take off FEP-vat from the tilt base. Only 4 screw-nuts. Its very important, nobody wants to dismount the whole tilt mechanism, simply to clear the vat. I can't imagine any simple-dismount inverse mechanism. :(
At this moment, FEP surface are 12-16 mm higher than petri. I am going to use a closeup lens for my projector to get fine resolution results.

tessen

Postby tessen » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:11 am

Hi
i'm planning to make a similar flex vat than yours, in your design i think it´s better that the part push the FEP film should not have sharp corners and edges to avoid tear the membrane

regards! (and excuse my english)

DanOrgan

Postby DanOrgan » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:05 pm

Tessen, thank you, I'll cut the sharp edges.
By the way, my FEP Vat is not intended for high tension. I want to use 2 mm acrylic plate to keep layers planar. Don't know if it's right decision or not.

tessen

Postby tessen » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:38 pm

I´m looking at the same problem, if the height on the undercut in the lower piece to fit the acrylic is the same than the acrylic thickness the fep film tend to "glue" and make bubbles between both (according to my tests)

i too have to study how solve it

regards