Has anyone used a closeup lens with the Acer P1283?

Forum dedicated to discussion and technical support centered around the LittleRP affordable, open source 3D resin printer.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
reluttr
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Has anyone used a closeup lens with the Acer P1283?

Postby reluttr » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:43 pm

I'm just wondering if anyone has used a closeup lens with the Acer P1283. If so, which one did you use, and did it affect quality of prints?

nalmeida

Re: Has anyone used a closeup lens with the Acer P1283?

Postby nalmeida » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:44 am

A bit offtopic, I did the mod on my P1283 and thought it wouldn't be that hard to come up with a mechanism where you move the lens in and out by 3mm, I'm only using mine for 3D printing but if I needed it for other applications I would have done just that.

goopyplastic

Postby goopyplastic » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:47 pm

Close up filters generally work just fine. My first printer used them and I never really noticed that much difference.

There are some cases where closeup lenses may be preferred, it tends to narrow the projected image vs. shimming the optics assembly. This will result in a smaller projected image and higher x/y density. The P1500 / H6510 may also benefit from close up filters / shimming even though they aren't required as it lets you set the projectors optics more in the middle of the focus settings which seems to produce better optical performance than without a focus modification and having the projector focus at its full extreme.

Potential downside are some uv loss, potential ca aberrations, and distortion. Since the LittleRP was aimed at hobbyist jewelers I opted to not recommend the closeup filter route over shimming for those reasons. Close up filters are also added cost.

That said I have no issues recommending close up filters and for some projectors it is a requirement.

reluttr

Postby reluttr » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:11 pm

DanOrgan

Postby DanOrgan » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:51 pm

Goopyplastic, what closeup lens diameter and strength do you use on Acer 1500?
I think, that closeup lens are really needed, when it comes to FEP vat.

goopyplastic

Postby goopyplastic » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:39 am

I hope to do some formal testing this weekend and report back my findings :D