How to reduce noise?

Forum dedicated to discussion and technical support centered around the LittleRP affordable, open source 3D resin printer.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
DanOrgan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

How to reduce noise?

Postby DanOrgan » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:12 am

I wonder, if there is a way to reduce noise from stepper motor? Because it is annoying and much stronger than noise from projector.
I don't want to change the motor or it's driver, but If you know really silent stepper motor, please, advice.

goopyplastic

Re: How to reduce noise?

Postby goopyplastic » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:06 pm

A couple of options.

1) Add a jumper to MS3 on the microstepping jumper block this will increase the microstepping from 1/8 to 1/32, you will need to set the steps per mm for the Z axis to 800 in GRBL to compensate for this.

2) Add an astrosyn dampner, MY17RMDAMP

DanOrgan

Postby DanOrgan » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:52 pm

Thanks, Goopyplastic. I want to try 1/32.
I already have two jumpers at MS1 and MS2. Do you mean, that I need to add new jumper (I don't have any) to M3, or switch jumper from MS1/MS2 to MS3?

DanOrgan

Postby DanOrgan » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:21 pm

I have found one addittional jumper and testing 1/32 microstepping mode right now.
I can tell for sure, that the noise is not so annoying now. But it is not so easy to get proper speed settings for 1/32.
I had printed a lot of resized models, and the only way to fix it was changing lift sequence in Creation Workshop:
;********** Lift Sequence ********
<Delay> 1000
G1{$SlideTiltVal != 0? X$SlideTiltVal:} Z(($ZLiftDist * 4) * $ZDir) F{$CURSLICE < $NumFirstLayers?$ZBottomLiftRate:$ZLiftRate}
G1{$SlideTiltVal != 0? X($SlideTiltVal * -1):} Z((($LayerThickness-$ZLiftDist) * 4) * $ZDir) F$ZRetractRate
;<Delay> %d$BlankTime
;********** Lift Sequence **********
But with speed settings, simple 4x multiplier was not working. The buildplate was moving during the cure time.
So, my current settings:

goopyplastic

Postby goopyplastic » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:42 pm

If at all possible you want to change the steps/mm on the controller firmware side.

https://github.com/grbl/grbl/wiki/Configuring-Grbl-v0.8

Basically you want to connect to the GRBL controller com port at 9600 baud rate, pronterface works well for this. Then you want to change the steps per mm for z, so the command would be $2=800.

If you do it in software instead your accelerations etc. will be off.

DanOrgan

Postby DanOrgan » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:32 pm

Thanks again. That pronterface software was very useful, I returned to my normal CW settings.

goopyplastic

Postby goopyplastic » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:41 am

Another thing I am starting to test is the trinamic stepper drivers in the stealth mode. They aren't really ideal for 3d printers, but may just be the ticket for our leadscrew driven, low velocity, low acceleration z stage.