Anyone that has successfully printed with B9 Cherry?

Forum dedicated to discussion and technical support centered around the LittleRP affordable, open source 3D resin printer.
ps_bond
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Anyone that has successfully printed with B9 Cherry?

Postby ps_bond » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:34 pm

Sore point. I'm trying to get the damn stuff to print at the moment and failing.
Currently using 90s for the base (flexvat) and 8s per layer and getting nowhere.
Peter

LittleRP, H6510BD projector, Rhino 5.0, Rhinogold
https://www.facebook.com/BondDesigns

cardin1
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby cardin1 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:45 pm

What's the z resolution you're trying to print ? Anything higher than 0.03 is going to be problematic. If you have a big xy area it'll also be hard.

ps_bond

Postby ps_bond » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:09 am

35u in my case - as I've seen output using this resin sliced at that thickness. Whether the Acer projector actually puts out enough UV for this I'm not sure.

However... One of my issues may be the use of the flex vat - trying to grow the base layers thick to compensate for the vat base bending away. I shall test. ATM it's just the cal block I'm trying to print, but I want to get it to the point of printing half a dozen rings at once - so it'll be a larger baseplate.
Peter

cardin1

Postby cardin1 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:24 am

I have the same Acer and I've been printing with 5750 milliseconds. I took the lamp UV filter out, I don't think you are going to be able to print with it place. My build area is 120mm x 65mm(I don't have a LittleRP). The acer is acually a terrible projector, it would help to mod and calibrate it as discussed in these threads ; and

ps_bond

Postby ps_bond » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:14 pm

Peter

goopyplastic

Postby goopyplastic » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:10 pm

The H6510BD / P1500 definitely have some issues regarding image eveness, however the center portion which should be enough for most small figures / objects in that usage case I find it works well. Not having to modify the projector for close focus is the main reason I would recommend it, generally if someone asks me what projector to use I recommend a P1283 / X1240. If you have recommendations for other 1080p projectors that will fit the role etter I am more than happy to integrate mounting solutions into the LittleRP designs.

ps_bond

Postby ps_bond » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:59 am

FWIW, the Solus recommended (supported) printers use the InFocus In8606HD or Vivitek H1185HD; I think the InFocus is preferred, not sure why; may just be availability. I've seen clean prints using Cherry from the Solus with unmodified projectors.

Usually I'm printing small jewellery items as one-offs, so invariably at the centre of the image - as such I haven't seen the problems with evenness.

TBH I'm a little surprised at how quiet users of the LittleRP have been. One of the things I enthused about as a Kickstarter was the opportunity for the open source community to get access to a semi-commercial printer (as opposed to going the whole hog & building from scratch); I'd hoped this would lead to more interchange of information & mutual support, but there seems to be a fairly small number of people who are actually trying to use the unit beyond the resins supplied with it. IMO, of course - it's entirely subjective.
Peter

goopyplastic

Postby goopyplastic » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:59 pm

I am open to suggestions, I have a few products coming up that will hopefully grow the base a little more. A slightly refined version of the LittleRP (aluminum panels, hinged hood, flexvat, single board controller) and a bigger printer the MiddleRP (130x75ish for 1080p) a lot of the P1500/H6510BD image issues go away at the longer focal distance. All LittleRP kits of course will be compatible and have an upgrade path :) All open source of course.

I think Acer is really hard to come by in Asia so we see different brands.
I should have support for the ViewSonic PJD5232 soon and will look at buying a few 1080p projectors to get some solutions for them as well, possibly an infocus, viewsonic, and vivitek. If people have come up with solutions for other projectors I could provide a bounty / reward for documenting it.

ps_bond

Postby ps_bond » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:54 am

As far as refinements go, I think I'd like a more boxed-in mirror assembly; I've had trouble with dust & other junk settling onto the mirror that has needed isopropanol to remove it, with the attendant risk of scratching the mirror. Obviously this introduces additional elements into the optical path (and needs to be UV transparent), but it would also get around the worry about flex vats leaking.

Hinging the hood would be good - 4 bar linkage either side for example. That would get around the issue of laying the thing down every time. SBC - not so worried. I could print a cover for the existing one which would do just as well, I like the OTS nature of what you've used. Other than that? It'd be nice to have a way of dismounting the projector from the top; I know there's the magnet setup for the mounts, but I'm not sure about the reliability on alignment when it's reattached. Maybe a separable carrier? Doesn't need optical bench precision, but has to get the distance accurate (?!) to maintain print size tolerances.
Peter

rkundla

Postby rkundla » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:15 pm

So did anyone actually answer whether they could print with the B9 Cherry without diluting it using Red or other resin?

I'm looking for success stories from other DLP-based printers other than the B9Creator. ;)