Strange problem with base of print

Forum dedicated to discussion and technical support centered around the LittleRP affordable, open source 3D resin printer.
nc42
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Strange problem with base of print

Postby nc42 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:57 am

If you do a bit of digging on the site you will find quite a bit of info, Unfortunately it's not curated especially well. My best advice would be to look through all the sub forums and the threads of any length.

I just wrote a tutorial about making a mask which can be found at viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3684

jon_bondy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby jon_bondy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:38 pm

After evaluating which parts of the build plate made the best prints, I made one print and it came out perfectly. Another in the exact same spot came out OK, but with a small defect on the bottom. Since then, three attempts have all been total crap. One print fell off of the build plate. Two of them had such horrible bases that I killed the prints. I swapped in a new petri dish, wondering if the coating might be the problem (I could see a faint ghost image of the print on the old plate), but that did not help. Sanded the build plate, but that did not help.

At this point, I would describe the printing process as erratic and unreliable. I have obtained a few very nice prints, but it is really hit or miss. Mostly miss.

Could the projector bulb be changing with use? I am not sure how many hours I have on it: probably around 75 or so.

I understand the idea of a Mask, but if the prints change from hour to hour and day to day, I doubt that a Mask would resolve the problem.

Frustrated.

jon_bondy

Postby jon_bondy » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:34 am

Tried rotating the build plate in each direction: no joy. Tried a new petri dish. No joy. Tried a new bottle of resin. Joy.

Frustrating that I have half a bottle of resin that seems to be contaminated (no idea how), but at least I'm printing again.

No need for the Mask at all.

jon_bondy

Postby jon_bondy » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:05 pm

Here is the last test print using the old/bad/red resin and the new test print with the green resin. Both Maker Juice SF. Notice that with the good print, I was able to print beyond the edge of the build plate, because the print was one huge piece. The red print had one entire section that just dropped off; the remaining section was only attached to part of the build plate. The green print was attached to the build plate almost uniformly.

Lesson? Contaminated resin can make you crazy.
Attachments
IMG_6169a.JPG
IMG_6166a.JPG

DanOrgan

Postby DanOrgan » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:13 am

Jon_bondy, do you keep your resin away from light? Do you mix it before printing?
By the way, I don't think its possible to get all your sections perfect without Mask, no matter what resin you are using :(

jon_bondy

Postby jon_bondy » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:28 am

The resin is kept in the original dark plastic bottles between prints. I shake/mix the resin just prior to pouring it for each print. I printed a funnel with a sieve at the bottom in PLA and use that when I'm pouring the resin back into the bottles; it is possible that the PLA has been contaminating the resin I suppose. Light exposure is possible but unlikely. I marked the build platform with a magic marker, only to discover that the resin dissolved the marks, so that is a possibility. I suppose I could have introduced some IPA into the resin by accident. Not sure what else could have happened.

A pity, because that bottle is only half full

jon_bondy

Postby jon_bondy » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:32 pm

The folks from Maker Juice believe that this probably was due to contamination with IPA.

jon_bondy

Postby jon_bondy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:18 am

So, the first print using the fresh bottle of resin was perfect. The second and third were defective.

At this point, I'm back to feeling as if I cannot predict whether the next print will be OK or not. I must be missing something

goopyplastic

Postby goopyplastic » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:16 pm

Is your build plate sanded at all? The rougher the better almost for adhesion.

jon_bondy

Postby jon_bondy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:18 pm

It is sanded. There is no problem with adhesion for the first 10 layers. It is after those layers that the defects begin.