P1500 focus problem

Forum dedicated to discussion and technical support centered around the LittleRP affordable, open source 3D resin printer.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
instanter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

P1500 focus problem

Postby instanter » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:49 am

Hi, I've just received a P1500 projector and given it a quick try. Everything seems OK except that it won't focus closely enough to just cover the build plate. The smallest image it will produce (while being in focus) is about 76 x 43mm. I've done this against a plain screen so that it can be seen and manipulated better. It seems to me therefore, that a lot of what you're paying for, ie more pixels, can't in fact be used, unless the projector is modified to focus closer, something which it is specifically claimed is not necessary.
So, has anyone modified one of these so that it will focus closer, if so how, or am I missing something?
Thanks in anticipation.

cerriousdesign

Re: P1500 focus problem

Postby cerriousdesign » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:02 pm

I have the p1500 is mounted in the second hole. I am focused just fine, the lever is all the way over. I print at .25 mm just fine. Have you tried printing?

instanter

Re: P1500 focus problem

Postby instanter » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:51 pm

Thanks Cerriousdesign, yes, I've printed, and as you say it works fine, but I think you've missed my point.

What I've done is mount the projector on the bench without the printer. Then I mounted a sheet of paper vertically in front of it to represent the vat bottom, and then moved the two as close together as possible while maintaining focus. At minimum distance, the width of the rectangle of light from the projector is about 80mm across, this allows focusing past the best point and back a little. This 80mm uses the 1920 pixels.

Now, if you tell CW to use a printing space of 60 x 40mm (as in the instructions) it will project a grid with a pitch of about 12mm, not the 10mm we want. If you print like this, the print will be too big, so you use CW to reduce the size to 10/12 or 83%. It does this by spreading the printed image across only the middle 83% of the beam from the projector, in other words, it only uses 83% of the pixels, 17% around the outside are unused. This means that we are using the projector as if it had only about 1600 pixels across. 320 pixels are paid for, but not used.

The solution would be to narrow the light beam from the projector, or get it to focus closer, though the front legs of the printer would then probably need moving, but it would give a 20% improvement in resolution.

Does this make sense to anyone?