GRBL Firmware Hex file

Forum dedicated to discussion and technical support centered around the LittleRP affordable, open source 3D resin printer.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Crusader68
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

GRBL Firmware Hex file

Postby Crusader68 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:34 am

I'm done with my build, structure and mechanics, and now I'm trying to iron out the electronics. I went to the link in the LittleRP technical support page that is for the GRBL firmware(.8a I believe) but when I try to download the file all that happens is that a window opens with a page that is basically just letters and numbers. I tried the GitHub GRBL repository as well with the same result, where am I going wrong? Every other time I've downloaded a sketch its in the for of a zip file, but this time I don't. Can anybody help guide me through what the problem is? I looked up loading a hex file to Arduino and it looks like you use a file from the hard drive but not from text.
Link to the file in question:
"... mais épargnez le visage"

sgraber

Re: GRBL Firmware Hex file

Postby sgraber » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:29 am

Right click on it and select Save As. :)
Research Chemist

JohnGay

Postby JohnGay » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:30 am

I'm guessing from your lack of details, you're using a Windows PC. I'll also guess you're using Internet Explorer.
If you right-click on the link, you can select "save as" to save the file to your PC. But you cannot use the Arduino IDE to install the hex file onto your board.
However, from what I've read on the grbl site, you're better off down-loading the source files into the Arduino IDE and compiling and uploading them directly.
Also, from what I've seen, grbl is upto version 0.9 Not sure why you want the older version.

I myself have not reached the point of installing grbl yet. My stepper motor driver board doesn't arrive until Monday. I've only just started playing with the PC that will run my printer.

Cheers,

John Gay

Crusader68

Postby Crusader68 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:03 am

John, you are correct I am using a PC with windows & internet explorer.
I bought a Surface Pro 3 a couple months ago, after using a Mac almost exclusively for the last 8 years and Windows 8 is totally different and in still getting used to it. The goofy thing is that there are "two" seperate Internet Explorers in Windows 8 Touch, the one that I use most is basically an app that allows you to surf but not much else, and that's why I was having problems. I needed to use the browser in desktop form to be able to "save as", which did not occur to me until I saw sgraber's post.
The only reason why I was gonna use .8a GRBL is cause that's what's on the LittleRP page. From what I was told however, GRBL .9 is still not 100% bug free. Once I get things working(I'm just ready to have things move, after 6 months of tinkering I just want to know that the way I have everything set up will work before I worry about fine tuning), then I'll worry about updating to the newer firmware which will hopefully be ironed out more.
So now I think everything is working as it should, so thanks for the help.
"... mais épargnez le visage"