Pictures of printed models with CastSolid

Forum dedicated to discussion and technical support centered around the LittleRP affordable, open source 3D resin printer.
smsla
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Pictures of printed models with CastSolid

Postby smsla » Wed May 27, 2015 11:30 am

I echo minimaker's good questions. Also, what were the print times you got? Thanks.
Steve H.
USA

cerriousdesign
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby cerriousdesign » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:38 pm

Did you postcure the pictured models above? If so did you use a UV curebox or sunlight. The reason I ask is I am having problems postcuring mine with sunlight. The models are cleaned in IPA for only 2 minutes but when I put them out in the sunlight for UV curing they start to develop cracks. I have a support ticket in with the Cast Solid people and will write what they said in case anyone else has the same problem.

Artur

Postby Artur » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:52 am

Hello.Can you please help me Im wright you from Armenia.I have 3 d printer Form 1 + today I receive Castsolid yellow resin from Madesolid....I did print but after UV I saw some craks on ring,also do you try to cast this resin and which tepreture it casted well?
Thank you

smsla

Postby smsla » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:58 am

I used to think the 'cracks' appeared after cleaning with IPA too long, or because I cured them too long with UV light. But I also think some thin prints in CastSolid like rings, and pendants, may not need UV post cure at all! If the part is strong, dry and not gooey, why feel obliged to post cure it at all? If it is a thin part, then sometimes it may have been fully cured by the DLP projector, and over curing it with UV will obviously do some damage it! This may cause cracks. So for me, when the surface of a CastSolid part remains wet or tacky after IPA cleanup, then I might post cure with UV light for anywhere from 20 seconds to a couple of minutes. If you do this, take precautions and proceed at your own risk. I also store my prints in water until just before prepping them for casting.
Last edited by smsla on Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve H.
USA

cerriousdesign

Postby cerriousdesign » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:06 pm

Thanks SMSLA.. I will try that!

smsla

Postby smsla » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:00 am

I've also done a quick 10 second IPA swish and another H2O swish, then stored them in water, only to pull some good looking prints out of the water and have them whither and die into a twisted crack infused mess in less than 20 minutes! I continue to be moderately frustrated with CastSolid resin. PlastiCast is great to use when immediately invested. It's a little ridiculous but I've resorted to placing them in Ziploc® Storage bags right out of the water to keep them out of the air and they last longer without cracking. It varies but they they can last in the bag >10x longer than exposed to air in my experience. But I don't know why. There must be a better way to do this!!! I will be investing in some B9 castable resins to compare.
Steve H.
USA

goopyplastic

Postby goopyplastic » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:18 pm

How does this compare to the original print quality? I can't tell real well from the quality of the original photos.

As is, castsolid has more bleed than I would like so I don't actuallly openly recommend it. In my experience it will hold about 100micron of detail in Z so some blending and lack of definition would be expected. I am curious though if the pitting is in the original model or part of the investment / casting process.

jwlrymkr

Postby jwlrymkr » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:15 pm

The B9 cherry casts well without any issues.
Attachments
20150713_111103.jpg

jwlrymkr

Postby jwlrymkr » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:13 pm

25 microns XYZ. 2600 exposure

cerriousdesign

Postby cerriousdesign » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:53 pm

I am still trying to play with the CastSolid, but the B9 Casting Resin looks very promising! Thanks for sharing!