FEP vat for the LittleRP?

Forum dedicated to discussion and technical support centered around the LittleRP affordable, open source 3D resin printer.
HTL

Re: FEP vat for the LittleRP?

Postby HTL » Fri May 08, 2015 7:47 pm

Secret info follows.

I wouldn't worry about the FEP ripping .005" FEP is a very tough material a sharp knife will pierce it a hardened piece of resin probably not. Since FEP stretches up to 300% before failing the main reason for needing to change a vats FEP is "dimples" created by parts that break off during a build. For smaller vats a glass support is not needed tension is enough to prevent sagging but for larger vats (1080x1920 @ 100 microns or larger) the amount of tension needed to prevent the FEP sagging can be very high so stiffening the vat sufficiently can be an issue. Some use a metal frame to deal with the stiffness issue (see http://www.muve3d.net/press/product/flexvat/). I have designs for both a FEP support method that uses glass to prevent FEP "sag" for larger vats and a vat stiffening method that uses less expensive to fabricate materials than aluminum/steel for larger flex vats. Once I finish rolling out the LittleRP designs I will post the larger vats.

Stay tuned

PS:

I have always liked to make the stuff that makes the "stuff" or the stuff that does the "thing" and I have been doing it for a long time (a long time) it's what I like to do.

HTL

HTL

Postby HTL » Sat May 09, 2015 9:21 am

I have been asked about the possibility of the FEP breaking and spilling resin into the projector, I believe that a properly constructed flexvat is the least likely type of vat to fail and damage a projector:

25 pounds (about 11.3 kg)

.005" FEP is a very tough material.
Last edited by HTL on Sat May 09, 2015 12:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

HTL

Postby HTL » Sat May 09, 2015 9:31 am

ground edges same as top.

sgraber

Postby sgraber » Sat May 09, 2015 1:18 pm

How much weight is that? 20 lbs?

Edit: I need to read. 25 lbs :p
Research Chemist

cerriousdesign
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby cerriousdesign » Wed May 27, 2015 8:12 pm

How is this going? Is there anymore news on when a version for the LittleRP might be available? Thanks!

maurice
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby maurice » Wed May 27, 2015 9:47 pm

I am printing with my Flex VAT for some time now, it's available at: https://github.com/mauricebasement/FEP-Vat
It works but I might still improve the design.

cerriousdesign

Postby cerriousdesign » Fri May 29, 2015 10:27 pm

Wow, great work Maurice!!! HTL said that there would me assembled FEP kits available in the future for sale, I was just wondering how that was going along.

maurice

Postby maurice » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:30 pm

heres a picture of the vat
Attachments
12.jpg

HTL

Postby HTL » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:05 pm

The LittleRP vat Kit is just about ready:

maurice

Postby maurice » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:06 am

Just one last question about you VAT, did you test it with a LittleRP?
I had issues with focusing the projector, as the mounting positions are made for the height of the petridish. So my new version of the FlexVAT has the film in the postion, were the bottom of the petri dish would be, because I did not manage to focus the projector otherwise.