Improving print quality, calibrating print size

Forum dedicated to discussion and technical support centered around the LittleRP affordable, open source 3D resin printer.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ps_bond
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Improving print quality, calibrating print size

Postby ps_bond » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:18 pm

Pottering along with getting some prints out, these are the results of printing a 123 block this morning (SubSF, 50u slices, 3500ms/8000ms). Ignoring the fluff...

The top looks not bad:

But the side is a little lacking.

Can anyone point to what this may be symptomatic of, please?

Also, given this is a 10x20x30 block, I'm assuming scaling the X & Y of the build size in CW to compensate is the correct way to go?
I can't see any option on scaling Z, the block is 0.17mm too short - but I'm not entirely sure that building it directly onto the build plate is a fair assessment. Should I build it with supports instead?

While I remember - the block I've uploaded to http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:684623
Not exactly the most complex bit of CAD ever, but if it saves people 5 mins...
Peter

LittleRP, H6510BD projector, Rhino 5.0, Rhinogold
https://www.facebook.com/BondDesigns

Scatterplot

Re: Improving print quality, calibrating print size

Postby Scatterplot » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:41 pm

It looks like you're underexposing your resin. I use SubSF as well and needed to increase my layer times to get things to print right.

ps_bond

Re: Improving print quality, calibrating print size

Postby ps_bond » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:02 pm

Exposure times have been increased about 30% now (in 10% increments) and that seems to have improved things.

X/Y scaling I've addressed in the build size settings for the printer, scaling them down to increase the size of the print.

Z accuracy I've tested by putting the block on supports and measuring the block height (9.99mm according to the calipers); bed of nails isn't the greatest solution with the block flat, presumably due to the relatively large flat plane. Tilting it might work, but TBH I think I've got everything I need from the cal block.
Peter

LittleRP, H6510BD projector, Rhino 5.0, Rhinogold
https://www.facebook.com/BondDesigns