Post-print curing of MakerJuice SF w/ UV light: Still sticky

Forum dedicated to discussion and technical support centered around the LittleRP affordable, open source 3D resin printer.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Glacian22
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Post-print curing of MakerJuice SF w/ UV light: Still st

Postby Glacian22 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:05 am

I've found that actually letting it soak for several minutes in alcohol does most of the work, then leaving it out for a day finishes it.

maurice

Postby maurice » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:43 pm

What kind of alcohol do you use?

Scatterplot

Postby Scatterplot » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:10 am

I have a large ultrasonic cleaner, so I put my models in a small mason jar full of 99% IPA, then seal it up and put it in the ultrasonic cleaner. After about 5 minutes they come out clean as a whistle. I can then dry them off, and they were actually immediately ready for painting, which seemed to stick well. I'm working on a post-cure box, but haven't built it yet. So far the IPA seems necessary to get rid of the leftover resin.

Praesmeodymium

Postby Praesmeodymium » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:24 am

Oxygen can interfere with the curing process so either a soak to remove all the uncured resin from the surface as suggested or curing the part under water, or ipa, something to displace the atmosphere.
Just a soak should be enough but in extreme cases this is the process you're fighting.

maurice

Postby maurice » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:19 am

Because my IPA did not arrive yet, I used ethanol, and soaking it and sun-drying did the job pretty well. As I have access to a 5kw UV Lamp, I will do some experiments with this for sure, and see if it will create a better results.

goopyplastic

Postby goopyplastic » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:40 pm

I do an initial rinse in IPA then set my parts aside. When I have enough I sonicate a batch of them for about 10 minutes, then I dunk them two times in acetone to displace the water from the ipa, then into the curebox or outside, they are generally quite matte at this point. Be careful with the heavier solvents, ie leaving subsf in acetone will give it a freezer burnt effect.

Scatterplot

Postby Scatterplot » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:26 pm

I use a small mason jar full of IPA, then put that in my ultrasonic cleaner. Glass transmits the sonics pretty well, and you don't have to worry about filling and unfilling your ultrasonic cleaner with IPA.