Linear rail/car assembly

Forum dedicated to discussion and technical support centered around the LittleRP affordable, open source 3D resin printer.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Affi75
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Linear rail/car assembly

Postby Affi75 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:51 pm

Hi there,

I am currently enjoying assembling my LittleRP ;)

I have gotten to the installation of the linear rail. The car comes in a separate box, and fortunately I found out (before any fell out) that I need to slide the rail into the car so that it pushes the plastic cover out while keeping all the ball bearings in place. Could be good to add a note about that in the manual.

Anyway, looking at the assembly manual; in the picture there is no red top and bottom "rubber" covers installed on the car itself. Are they ment to be taken of? I am thinking that they could be left in place as they seem to be ment as dust covers - Or does that cause too much friction?

Regards
Alf

Scatterplot

Re: Linear rail/car assembly

Postby Scatterplot » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:14 pm

I left mine on and it's working fine. Those looked like little wipers to me- I think they keep dust/particulates/etc out of the ball bearing assembly.

goopyplastic

Re: Linear rail/car assembly

Postby goopyplastic » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:11 pm

The rubber parts are wipers, these rails are meant for much more punishing environments than that we are offering, so running them with and without the wipers will work. If you take the wipers off re-install the screws though as they help retain the plastic end caps which contain the recirculating balls. The main thing is to keep the rail oiled as it is still and can rust if not cared for.