Little beast

Forum dedicated to discussion and technical support centered around the LittleRP affordable, open source 3D resin printer.
hp_
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Little beast

Postby hp_ » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:06 am

hi deadmeat30,

b9 creator software i find very usefull and meshmixer.

cheers,
hp

deadmeat30
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby deadmeat30 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:58 pm

Thanks HP, I shall give them a go :)

goopyplastic

Postby goopyplastic » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:24 pm

Ya the b9 software is very good for support generation, I generally use medium supports with a 50% cone. The test sheet piece you are doing seems like it would be a tough print, how big is the base seems awfully large area :)

It looks like you are losing the prints when you are transitioning from the base to the layer cure times, so a longer layer cure will help. Also make sure the PDMS isn't fogged (damaged), fogged PDMS will lose much of its nonstick properties.

SubSF in particular will suffer from printing problems between the base and layer transition in the layer cure time isn't long enough. Some prints this is more noticeable. I have talked to CW creator to add in an option to feather the base to layer time transition but don't think it's available yet however a longer cure time will generally fix this. Feathering the transition would allow you to run at a lower cure time though which would help with increased detail and pdms life.

You said it is a balance, that is the best word I can use to describe it. We are trying to get the lowest cure time that results in the model fully forming. Any extra cure time that isn't needed will cause more bleeding and reduce pdms life.

Scatterplot

Postby Scatterplot » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:08 pm

Hope this isn't too off-topic, but can you use the B9 software to run the print, or do you just use it to create supports, then import into CW to actually run things?

goopyplastic

Postby goopyplastic » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:44 pm

You would still need to use CW.

deadmeat30

Postby deadmeat30 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:28 pm

Well here is my latest print with the supports made in Meshmixer and manually placed. Printed at 25 microns. Stands 17mm tall. the material doesnt do the detail justice!

Glacian22

Postby Glacian22 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:30 pm

Very nice!

deadmeat30

Postby deadmeat30 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:15 am

Brad, it looks like in the gcode, you could manually change the exposure time and create your own feathered effect. But if its a feature that's coming, then that is fair enough.

goopyplastic

Postby goopyplastic » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:25 pm

Ya you can do it in gcode, I will inquire with Steve about adding something again.
Awesome print, will be nice to have other people looking into tweaking these resins for high detail.
As for 25micron and lower print times, generally halving the layer height you can go down 10-25% in layer time, and as you get lower that percentage may need to increase as a function of the pigment level giving diminishing returns. Too much cure time on lower layer heights will end up inflating the print and losing some detail.

Wonderdog

Postby Wonderdog » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:26 pm

Great tip on the B9 creator software - the support creation is really nice on it! I assumed it was a B9 proprietary tool, but it can export back to STL fine :P