LittleRP2 Information

Forum dedicated to discussion and technical support centered around the LittleRP affordable, open source 3D resin printer.
goopyplastic

Re: LittleRP2 Information

Postby goopyplastic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:02 pm

Thanks for hanging in there with me!, it has been a bit longer than I anticipated.

For the curious, there are 20 kits total, 12 tall, 8 regular height. 14 have been purchased leaving 3 tall and 3 regular height (6 total) kits available currently. It makes much more sense to do things in parallel (LittleRP2 in particular would be a painful kit to make one at a time) so 20 kits were done at the same time. This means the leadtime for the remaining kits is down to a week now.

The first 7 kits will be dropped off at UPS today, 7 more will be packed and labeled for shipment this weekend. This weekend EBA orders will open which should go quite a bit faster, after those ship then work will transition towards LittleRP retrofit options. I will send out a survey to the LittleRP News list with some different options for folks to gauge interest of the various upgrade options and finalize on a few offerings.

One note, I increased the FEP / FOAM included in the kits from 2 sets to 3 sets as a courtesy :)

@redbeard - Yes I will offer FEP / FOAM in the store, flexvat.com LittleRP2 FEP / FOAM is also compatible with the self-source vat included with the kit.

RedBeard

Postby RedBeard » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:09 am

The one thing I did notice are the holes for the projector are not labled. Do you plan on updating your resorces to reflect this?

Oh, and what shims tend to work best for 25 micros?
Thanks!

Also the Z arm doesn't move and it was connected prior to the power and USB. What's an easy way to make sure the software is installed correctly and there is no issue with the board?

sealclubber

Postby sealclubber » Mon May 01, 2017 11:24 am

Any update on when the EBA kit will be available?

Jaidek

Postby Jaidek » Mon May 01, 2017 11:48 am

RedBeard wrote:The one thing I did notice are the holes for the projector are not labled. Do you plan on updating your resorces to reflect this?

Oh, and what shims tend to work best for 25 micros?
Thanks!

Also the Z arm doesn't move and it was connected prior to the power and USB. What's an easy way to make sure the software is installed correctly and there is no issue with the board?

Hey RedBeard,

I built my kit this weekend as well. It took a little trial and error to find the right mounting holes for my Acer X152H.

I too am having a problem with the Z arm not moving in CW. The power and USB is connected, the board lit up green too. Just no movement. I pinged Brad about it last night and this is what he suggested:

9600 baud should be correct. don't unplug the motor while the power is applied.
try downloading pronterface (used for 3d printers) and connect to the comport that is detected, then use 9600 baud. connect and you should get a grbl prompt.
you can type G1 Z5 in the window to move down 5mm, or G1 Z-5 to move up.

I haven't tried it yet, but I will this evening and give an update. If you manage to test first or resolve, please let me know the outcome.

goopyplastic

Postby goopyplastic » Mon May 01, 2017 3:25 pm

I do test each completed board with a motor before shipping. Couple things to note / check:

1) The stepper drivers run in a silent mode, so you likely won't hear the motor / z arm move at all, it will just move.
2) You might need the virtual com port drivers. Installing the Arduino software will install these, but you can install them separately
3) Plugging in the motor or unplugging it while the dc power is inserted into the controller may damage the stepper driver. (This is true of most stepper driven 3d pritners)
4) Make sure you hit the save button after selecting the com port and baud rate in Creation Workshop.
5) Make sure the heatsinks don't shift and touch / short to the pins on the side of the stepper driver.
6) The power adapter plugs into the top shield, not the Arduino.

Here is a link to the virtual com port drivers:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

So you will want to check in your device manager that the com port has been installed correctly and is available with a com port number.
The firmware we use is just regular GRBL, so if you connect to the com port with an application that shows the conversation (like pronterface) the GRBL prompt should show, you can type a simple command like $ and GRBL will display it's settings.

I can do some videos if people would find it helpful.

Jaidek

Postby Jaidek » Mon May 01, 2017 4:59 pm

Thanks to Brads help my issue was resolved. Here's what fixed it for me:

I should also add the power supply should be plugged in to the top board not the arduino.

One step closer to printing! Wooha!

goopyplastic

Postby goopyplastic » Tue May 02, 2017 1:14 pm

sealclubber wrote:Any update on when the EBA kit will be available?

All Kit orders have shipped, so I have added the standalone EBA now.

Yianni-VJ

Postby Yianni-VJ » Tue May 02, 2017 9:37 pm

Just checking, Is the EBA kit compatible with LittleRP1?

goopyplastic

Postby goopyplastic » Wed May 03, 2017 8:05 pm

Yianni-VJ wrote:Just checking, Is the EBA kit compatible with LittleRP1?

Not really... you would need some sort of LRP1 - > LRP2 conversion also.

Namely the EBA needs the wider distance of the LRP2 also the increase release forces make the use of the upper angle brackets a good idea.

There are a number of options for adapting the LRP1 to EBA, one would be to just modify the LRP1 parts to make them wider add in the vat hold downs and upper brackets ... this would be the cheapest option I could offer.

The other is a complete LRP1 -> LRP2 conversion of the hardware, so new side panels also + hinges + astrosyn dampner more hardware etc.
There is also a complete LRP1 -> LRP2 conversion in terms of hardware and electrical .. so same as above but with new shield / stepper driver / limit switch etc.

Yianni-VJ

Postby Yianni-VJ » Wed May 03, 2017 9:10 pm

That makes sense, thanks, Brad.

I m gonna get the EBA for now, See if I can put something together myself temporarily, and revisit the available upgrade options once they are up in the store.

Mostly I want to have a closer look at the new VAT !