Daylight Polymer 3D Printer

Post, review and discuss any commercial machines. Try to include links, specifications and prices.
dpizzle
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Daylight Polymer 3D Printer

Postby dpizzle » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:09 pm

Kvirre, excited to hear how your test goes, please keep us updated. Wondering if you plan on shooting high wattage light through the iPad mini screen or just using the the iPad's light source. I'm guessing it's gonna be pretty slow with just the iPad.

Kvirre
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kvirre » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:00 am

hp_

Postby hp_ » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:23 am

Hi Kvirre,

and did the package arrive? :)

I have a 2048x1536 LCD to DisplayPort Adapter for an Ipad Screen but it seems this will not really work with Raspberry pi.. darn :)

so after digging arround a little..

ipad 3rd generation screen + lcd to display port adapter + display port to hdmi adapter + raspberry pi 2 would provide for a very nice setup

check it out

http://www.amazon.com/Ableconn-DP2HD4K0 ... .0+Adapter

ipad 3rd generation screen - $45
lcd to displayport adapter - $45 -
dp to dhmi adapter - $17
raspberry pi 2 - $35
total - $142

this will provide a build area of 19.71cm × 14.78cm - 96 Micron xy resolution

only some fep film and a z axis + build plate and you have a nice 3d printer :)

good thing about the raspberry pi 2 is it will support the higher resolution:
https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/c ... /?sort=old[/url]

and here

but the question I find interesting is.. will it support 2048x1536 resolution in windows IOT :D
found the answer here..

cheers,
hp

nc42
Site Admin

Postby nc42 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:19 am

I hopefully will receive mine next week. I have the ipad sceen and display port adapter that I can plug into my surface pro. I'll update when I can.

Kvirre

Postby Kvirre » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:05 pm

Hi,

Ok, I received the resin and did a few test.
See pictures here

-1'st test iPad-
Used a black background and displayed a white text (FEP film on top of display)
Nothing happened after approx 2 minutes exposure.

-2'nd test, display from macbook pro-
I poured the resin directly on the screen and waited 3 minutes.
That worked, but once I tried rinsing the screen I smeared the results.

I did however see that the actual illuminated pixels seems to quite far from the surface.
The layers of glass on-top of the actual display seems to unforgiving for a printer like this.

I would approximate the distance on the iPad to be worse (3 mm?) and the laptop 2 mm.
This would be possible to find out.

Do you have any additional test you would recommend me to perform?
I plan to e-mail the company and try to get information on how the do it (and why they succeed where I fail).

PS.
Using their Gray Firm Daylight Resin.

Kvirre

Postby Kvirre » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:53 pm

IF the display port-to-HDMI would work ...

Then my question is, if you guys who bought this screen experimenting with UV-light-matrix ...
What kind of layers sits on top of the display, (touch part included etc)?

hp_

Postby hp_ » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:00 pm

Hi Kvirre,

first of all, very cool that you are experimenting with this and showing your pictures :)

did you try experimenting with red color on ipad?

have a look at this youtube clip

at time slot 1:21

is shows a red calibration matrix

btw i have bought such a ipad screen.. but didn't disassemble it yet :)
cheers,
hp

hp_

Postby hp_ » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:10 pm

hi Kvirre,

have you seen these 6" lcd screen with hdmi 2.0 support

this means build area of 13.28cm × 7.47cm at xy resolution of 52 micron.. pretty great if you ask me..

cheers,
hp

Kvirre

Postby Kvirre » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:18 am

dpizzle

Postby dpizzle » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:03 pm

I would assume they are using an array of high wattage of leds to cure. The stronger the light, the faster the cure time.
See this at about the one minute mark. https://youtu.be/s2PhxAPz2I4?t=69 You'd probably need a setup similar to this.

Phife's posts on this forum are a good resource if you haven't seen. He went through months (or maybe years) of testing all sorts of led array setups and even fabricated his own boards. His tests were UV based though, but same concept would apply. Normal color LCDs block UV which makes it hard to go with UV resin. Thats why this resin is exciting to me it'll allow for cheap LCDs and regular LEDs to be used.

I think the best cost to micron ratio is the iPad mini retina screen. 78 microns. Total $75

Something like the following:
Driver: http://abusemark.com/store/index.php?ma ... 9d9a8r0a14
Screen: http://www.ebay.com/itm/iPad-Mini-Retin ... SwZd1VZgWE