Carbon 3D

Post, review and discuss any commercial machines. Try to include links, specifications and prices.
anthid
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Carbon 3D

Postby anthid » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:52 am

I'm currently using PDMS with a B9 similar setup. PDMS will not streech to an acceptable point. When I replace old PDMS coating I usually streech it to the break point and it breaks very easy. Maybe if casted with modified proportions the result will be different.

The guy in this video is using PDMS over Glass. And it works. Thinking on how to maintain PDMS over glass (for rigidity) oxygenated, it can be casted with two openings on the sides, allowing oxygen to penetrate into PDMS. The problem is that this penetration will occur only on the sides, and not at the entire surface. Attaching an air compresed source to this openings may solve the problem, but looks like overengineered. I attach some pictures. White is glass/acrilic vat, blue is PDMS and red is the openings.

vat1.png
Attachments
vat3.png
vat2.png

Hugues
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Hugues » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:55 am

Would oxygen migrate all the way to the center of the vat from the openings on the sides ?

anthid

Postby anthid » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:04 am

Hugues

Postby Hugues » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:51 am

don't want to sound negative but i would think oxygen would migrate at best a few microns into the PDMS,
or if it does migrate more, it would do so very slowly and the oxygen needed in the dead zone would not be replenished fast enough.
I think.

octanees

Postby octanees » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:44 am

More details about the 3D printer from Buffalo
Honestly, I think that would be more useful to that community to have more real tests with your own 3dprinters, using several compounds, ect ,ect , than the theories and hipotethical situations.... :D

Hugues

Postby Hugues » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:41 am

well, before experimenting we need to think a bit :-)

from the article:
“The Carbon3D machine uses an oxygen-permeable window to create a ‘dead zone’ (a thin layer of uncured resin between the window and the object). This dead zone guarantees the part can grow without stopping, and this is the key to the CLIP process. For our machine, we don’t use that oxygen-permeable window, but we instead use a special membrane to create that thin layer of uncured resin. There are 2 advantages of this special membrane. First, this membrane is much less expensive than the oxygen-permeable window, as it only costs about 1/100 of the price of the oxygen-permeable window. Second, this membrane is very easy to mold, meaning we can make this membrane almost any shape we want.”

According to Phife who talked to the guy, he's using PDMS. Can PDMS "create that thin layer of uncured resin." ?? First time i hear that.

Maybe the guy he's using something else on top of PDMS ? He would not have necessarily tell someone calling him over the phone, especially if he intended to patent the thing. I would not have.

WOuld it be the Titanium dioxide film as mentioned by Sid in the other post ? I asked Sid where he read about that, he did not reply yet. Titanium dioxide has some interesting properties when exposed to UV.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2861#p9341

adambx

Postby adambx » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:58 am

anthid

Postby anthid » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:01 am

SIDRANA

Postby SIDRANA » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:57 pm

Greetings Dear Hugues;

My apologies for the delayed response; actually I was out yesterday, and unplanned meeting happened with the same young student from Colorado State. Originally I learned about the Titanium dioxide from him, about one year ago, as he was inquiring about the evaporation and metallizing equipment that I used to have in my compact disc mastering business. Well yesterday I asked him about his thoughts. There can be number ways of coating. His concept is to metallize a very thin layer of Titanium over the glass sub-straight and oxidizing it.

Warm Regards
Sid

broli

Postby broli » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:02 am

I look forward to the first person experimenting with nanostructured glass as the basin floor. It seemingly has all the benefits one needs; superhydrophobic, highly anti reflective, highly wear resistant, chemical resistant, ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-f7NRevOAA

However currently it seems to be very limited in availability. I have yet to find a supplier who can deliver these. However these two companies at least produce this stuff:

http://www.rolith.com/applications/self-cleaning

http://www.telaztec.com/

A small sample would be enough to just test its performance.