Carbon 3D

Post, review and discuss any commercial machines. Try to include links, specifications and prices.
crusoe
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Carbon 3D

Postby crusoe » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:24 pm

Of course, you could neutralize it first by soaking in a strong base. Then what is left over would be a very weakly basic film.

CRUD, I misread somewhere. Nafion is only about 1 barrers.
Last edited by crusoe on Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jkao
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby jkao » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:26 pm

hegykc

Postby hegykc » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:43 pm

vinto

Postby vinto » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:00 am

Can anyone compare this material to Teflon AF?

Silpuran

hegykc

Postby hegykc » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:13 am

Vinto you beautiful bastard!

SILPURAN® Film 50 μm, 500 Barrers! More than Teflon AF1600!
And it's water repellent so very non-sticky too.

Hugues

Postby Hugues » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:20 am

pizzaslice

Postby pizzaslice » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:20 am

Oxygen Permeability:
Teflon FA1600 340 Barrers
Teflon FA2400 990 Barrers
Silpuran 375 Barrers for 50 micrometer sheet "green bar in the graph"
Optical Transmission:
Teflon FA, see graph posted earlier
Silpuran, "transparent similar to other silicone rubbers", as silicone is good for SLA I guess this is not an issue
Elongation
tear strength 10 N/ mm
450 % elongation at break --> it might be too flexible; if you use silicone in an SLA machine you have to move quite a distance up, like 500 micrometers before it gets detached from the part and then move down 450 micrometers to continue building

hegykc

Postby hegykc » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:28 am

It has hardness of a rubber band, yes. Well, it is worth an experiment if it's much cheaper then FA. We are using tension vats after all.

Forget silicon, there's no pealing at all, remember? With such high O2 permeability there can be no vacuum and no sticktion whatsoever. And therefore no upward flex of the floor.

EDIT: For the vacuum it even better! Air contains 78% Nitrogen, and this has 2,000 Barrer N2 permeability. So no vacuum forces.
Even if it is flexible, it shouldn't flex up. Only question is down flex under resin weight.
And I see 500 Barrers for the 50 micron film

dangre

Postby dangre » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:14 am

So, until we can get this 'holy grail' of release film, I would like to see if we could do more testing/modifications using existing FEP and CW (let me know if we need to separate this to another topic). I think octanees is going down the right path (awesome machine and prints by the way!). If we can verify that CW can move in these small increments and project images in a timely manner (pun intended) we might have something. Hoping that Steve can give input how we could test this.

I am trying to understand how the resin can physically replenish the next area to be exposed at so small a layer without a 'lift sequence' (thinking about fluid dynamics). Also can the resins we use cure at such small layers, consistently? I know the mUVe guys are trying to implement different exposure times by calculating surface area being exposed. I have difficulty when exposing large areas (23,000 sq.mm) combined with small areas on different layers. Large areas need less exposure time, small areas more exposure time (contrary to what others have said). We will have to think how to support this thin release film over larger areas (the small area of the Carbon3D is easy to support). Most of the models I print are about 150mm sq. I can see how this, as it stands, could be useful to small items like jewelry where you can use fine resolution (fast exposures) but upscaling to larger areas may be more difficult. I guess you have to crawl before you walk. Good stuff... :)

P.S. It seems some of you are using FTD resin at small exposure times (0.5 sec) already and would like to know what you guys think?
Dan - mUVe 1 DLP

hegykc

Postby hegykc » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:30 am