Carbon 3D

Post, review and discuss any commercial machines. Try to include links, specifications and prices.
Leinad78
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Carbon 3D

Postby Leinad78 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:20 am

shaise
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby shaise » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:41 am

Titan 1 does not use any magical technology. They have a simple vat flex-hinged on one side to have a self tilting mechanism. To gain extra speed they just give you the opportunity to speed up layers that have less suction issues then others. (I'm not sure even if it is autocratically done). You can look at a very detailed print video here:
Its very long, but you can skip parts and learn how they work.
And by the way, Their software is only for controlling the build. For slicing they use our beloved CreationWorkshop :)

crusoe

Postby crusoe » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:15 am

The Titan 1 is basically a flex vat variant. One side is fixed by a clip, and as the print is lifted this induces a peeling motion.

Leinad78

Postby Leinad78 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:27 am

Thats pretty much what we can see here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a7PXEV_SeY

BUT: Thats not continously like in the actual video and even if it would peel of at higher angles, that would require moving the build plate back down to the desired layer height.

crusoe

Postby crusoe » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:49 pm

Yeah, we know. The Titan likely isn't as fast as the carbon3D, but it is a pretty damn fast printer.

shaise

Postby shaise » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:23 pm

Here is an Idea I want to share of a way to speed up printing with standard vats:
1. use a passive tilting vat similar to titan-1 system, but instead of just resting on the base below, let it rest on an electric contact connected to one of the controller (arduino) inputs.
2. for every slice, project the image as usual, then slowly lift the platform. This should tilt the vat as usual due to the suction forces, but this time it will be detected by the firmware as the contact will break.
3. continue the lifting until the vat fully separates, and bounce back to place. This too will be detected by the controller, letting it know that no more lifting is needed, and the platform can retract fast back to the next layer height.

Using this system, the platform will rise only as little as needed. And no need to calculate rising height/time based on blob sizes. This of course might involve firmware/sw changes - but should not be that hard.

Of course, If a cheap permeable film will be found before I start working on this idea, I will ditch it in a sec...

Leinad78

Postby Leinad78 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:39 am

And the next one getting much faster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNq88zXTaBU

We´re loosing ;)

@shaise
I´d rather go with an active peel mechanism like the guys an M-One did. Its faster and as you´re raising the build plate, you have an opposite movement which creates a larger distance.

https://gigaom2.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/3dgif.gif

Phife

Postby Phife » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:48 am

I spoke with Bo Pang, the University of Buffalo student whos using a membrane. He told me hes just using PDMS on his machine, so nothing really fancy, just a thin cast sheet of it.

hegykc

Postby hegykc » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:11 am

Phife

Postby Phife » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:36 pm

When I tried PDMS it was on a sheet of glass, so no oxygen could get to it. I was using a tilt release with no success. Perhaps if were able to make or get thin membranes of PDMS we could try it like a flex vat?

I think PDMS will still stretch a lot? Maybe that other Silicone membrane that had decent oxygen permeability would work better? Just stretch it a lot so its thin and very tight.