Solidator DLP kickstarter

Post, review and discuss any commercial machines. Try to include links, specifications and prices.
octanees

Solidator DLP kickstarter

Postby octanees » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:23 pm

Another DLP on kickstarter!!!

link here:

PacManFan
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Solidator DLP kickstarter

Postby PacManFan » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:45 pm

I really like the software they use. I'm stealing ideas now...
I'm wondering why they need to power the slicing with a GPU.

johnrpm
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby johnrpm » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:33 pm

Seems like everyone and his dog are selling 3dprinters, I read about a slicer that uses the gpu, not sure if it was cura, or not, .1 is not exceptional, and it looks like you will not be able to play with settings, so may have to use their resin.
It does look like a polished product that will appeal to those who just want plug&play.
p.s I could not see vat slide or tilt?, are those motor cables bending?.
p.p.s icesl gpu slicer.
Random Precision

258cj7

Postby 258cj7 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:20 pm

Not to nitpick but it looks like there was some warping due to shrinkage in the post cure. The legs of the tower don't sit flat on the table anymore. That seems to be common with the resins I've tried.

Finhead

Postby Finhead » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:14 pm

I know old thread but I was just looking at the specs on this machine. They say 270 micron resolution in the X,Y so that would mean they are just using a standard 1024X768 projector and stretching it out to the build area they have listed (280X210)? Just curious as the prints still seem very nice why wouldn't more home built machines use this technique to get a bit bigger build volume? Or am I missing something which is quit likely. :)

PacManFan
Site Admin

Postby PacManFan » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:26 pm

No, I think you're right. They may be using a more powerful lamp to get better curing speeds, but 270micron X/Y resolution is nothing to brag about. My big question is how did they get the base so small? Is the projector in the rear facing downward against 2 front surface mirrors?

watsonstudios

Postby watsonstudios » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:34 pm

Yes PacManFan, the projector is in the rear, facing downward bouncing off 2 mirrors. I've seen some pics of prints and they aren't much to brag about. Resin is still the weak link in all these resin printers for the shrinkage and warping factor. Josh from MakerJuice sent me some new resin that has even less shrinkage than their SubG+. I plan on testing it soon. It's also higher viscosity.

Also, on that note, I'm expecting my shipment from MadeSolid resin very soon so I can see what their resin is all about. They started shipping to their pledges a few weeks ago. Of course, I chose black so my color is in the later shipments. :)

I like the setup of the Solidator and I may adopt their projector mounting scheme. But since my Z axis "spine" runs down the back of the printer, I can mount the projector in the front possibly, unless I make a bypass, and create an opening in the back spine of the printer. At their price point, I don't know why they didn't go with an HD projector.

The problem with 2 mirrors is that's 2 more adjustments that have to be precise to get skew-free prints. I thought of making a mirror sled, made of extrusion, that both mirrors would be mounted to, facing each other at 45deg, mounted to 45deg brackets. That way, both mirrors are linked to each other on the sled, less chance of them going out of alignment with each other.

Helmi

Postby Helmi » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:39 am

what i find much more interesting on this printer is what they say about sticking to the VAT. They say they're not using PDMS and are having there technique patented. Does anyone have any idea what they're doing?
Frank /

Finhead

Postby Finhead » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:28 am

Helmi

Postby Helmi » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:41 am

Oh wow - blind me :) Thanks.
Frank /